Chapter 11 - Division

Infinitely, at least in my mind. But I'm glad most of you seem to be forgiving! I love you all!

~~~~

I swear, my heart stopped beating.

The silence was louder than the cheers from earlier, it seemed. I stared at Mr. Potter, who was staring at the parchment, as if trying to decide if this was real. For a moment, I tried to convince myself otherwise. This was a dream. I'd fallen asleep after the match, surely, and I was dreaming.

Everyone was staring at me. I could feel the weight of their eyes. This was not a dream. Something has gone terribly, horribly wrong.

I turned to Albus. "I didn't... You know I wouldn't..."

Al, and Colette behind him, simply stared at me, open mouthed. I glanced at Wren, who looked horrified.

Pouri shook his head, losing a bit of the stunned look he'd worn, and called, "Astra? Come forward, please."

"Go," Wren whispered, pushing me.

I stood up slowly, dazedly. There was something louder than silence, starting at the back of the hall. A buzz of hushed voices, angry glares. There had to be a mistake. Mr. Potter would set it right, I was sure. And then I could go join my friends again, and cheer Faith on in the Tournament, and this five minute nightmare would be over.

Finally, I reached the front. Pouri frowned. "Through the door, then."

My feet moved without my command. I almost couldn't think. I passed down the staff table, feeling the glares of the professors who didn't like me, and the confusion of those who did. It was almost a relief to disappear through the door, though I really didn't want to see what was on the other side.

The room was small. It was dimly lit, except for the roaring fireplace directly across from me. The three champions were silhouetted against it, and looked quite impressive compared to me. As the door swung closed behind me, the three of them looked up.

"Do... Do they vant us back een the hall?" Kirsten asked, frowning.

Étienne also looked confused, but Faith was shaking her head. "No way. No. You're not... Can't be..."

"What?" Étienne asked, his confusion growing.

Faith's face was in shadows, so I couldn't see what sort of expression she had as she said, "Astra's always behind everything... I mean, well, not everything, but... Everything important... Something's wrong..." She glanced at Étienne and Kirsten. "Haven't you read the papers? She doesn't look familiar at all?"

Before anyone could answer that, the door opened behind me, and I heard the voice of Roger Davies, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports, calling, "—Like before, isn't it? Give you some sweet memories, Pot?" He laughed as he door swung closed, then I felt someone clap me on my back and there he was, standing next to me. "Ladies and gentleman, may I introduce the fourth Triwizard champion!"

Faith groaned, muttering something like, "I told you!" Kirsten and Étienne simply stared at me, then glanced at each other.

"Zat... Zat ees a funny joke," Étienne said, laughing nervously. "She ees really here, why?"

"No joke!" Davies exclaimed. "The Goblet chose her, just like all of you!"

"No, that is not possible, Meester Davies," Kirsten said, frowning. "She is too young. She cannot compete."

"I guess we'll just have to make an exception!" He clapped my back again. "Exciting, isn't it, Astra? It's too late to back out now, anyway, in the rules and all, so she'll just have to do her best—"