Chapter 17 - Consequences

Oh gosh, this is a hard one. Honestly, I don't think I'd be able to do it, but if I had to, I would probably sacrifice Harry for Fred. Harry because he basically did die anyway, and was prepared to do it, and Fred because his death hurt the most, not because I loved him the most, but because of the reactions of the Weasleys.

~~~~

"I still think you should take Lily," Wren said.

"I've got to make an effort!" said James. "I can't give up now!"

"It's the last day of term," Albus pointed out. "Most people already have a date."

James glared at him, then turned back to the doors. I wasn't sure who he was waiting for, but it was a fair guess that it was someone who'd say no.

It had been two unsuccessful weeks already of James searching for a date. Now, with only a week and a half until the actual ball, he was getting more desperate. His pride was on the line, and he wasn't about to be bested by his brother (even though both Albus and Wren kept insisting that they were going as friends, not that I believed that).

"You could always go with one of the twins," Colette dead-panned.

"I'd rather go with Ciara Malfoy," James said, shuddering. "Those two are scary."

"I think it's funny," Colette said, shrugging. "It's almost like Elmer with Astra."

James had laughed at that plenty of times the previous year, so he quickly shook his head. "Nothing like that. Nothing at all."

"Have you actually asked everyone in your year?" Albus asked after a minute.

"Everyone. Even Mackenzie. For old times' sake. She just laughed and said she was already going with Colin Creevey. And everyone else has a date, too, even Roxanne."

"Roxanne wouldn't go with you, anyway," Albus said, shaking his head.

Instead of answering, James jumped up. "Be right back." He hurried off, towards the doors. I strained to see who had just walked in, but only saw the Durmstrang students.

But they seemed to be the ones. James quickly went through the whole crowd, asking girls out and receiving a quick "no" or a glare. Finally, he reached Kirsten.

I couldn't hear what was said. However, when James had finished talking, Kirsten simply stared at him for a minute, then burst into laughter. Several of her friends joined in. James quickly backed away, his face flaming red, as the Durmstrang students passed by.

"Wow... He really is desperate," Colette said, shaking her head. "Almost makes me feel bad for him."

James had quickly recovered, and approached the next girl who walked through the doors—Faith. At first, she looked surprised that he was even talking to her, then her surprise turned to incredulity as he kept talking. She was shaking her head before he even finished, and seemed to be apologizing as she hurried off.

"He's hopeless," I diagnosed. "Colette, maybe you should just be nice and—"

"No."

The Beauxbatons students were walking in now, and apparently James hadn't suffered enough humiliation for one day because he quickly went through the crowd once more. One girl slapped him.