Chapter 3 - The Trial

Well, I won't answer that question, either, even though I do finally have an answer.

~~~~

The next morning, I woke up with the sun. Well, "woke up" is a bit of a stretch, because I don't believe I ever really went to sleep for more than a few minutes. However, I was too nervous to be tired. I walked down to the kitchen, my stomach feeling like it was preparing for a gymnastics competition. We wouldn't leave until after lunch, and I was not going to do well waiting.

I spent the morning with Albus, who didn't want to do much of anything either. We played wizard chess, and a five-year-old could have beaten either of us, but I didn't really care. Anything to make the long hours pass faster.

When Albus and I finally walked into the kitchen at noon, James and Mr. Potter were already there, staring at full plates.

"Well, you'd better eat," Mr. Potter said, standing up and taking his own untouched plate over to the counter. "It's going to be a long day."

I sat down and reached for a plate, but I couldn't bring myself to take a bite. I was afraid I would be sick. Which was strange, because I'd thought I'd been looking forward to seeing Wren again. Of course, I'd never expected I'd next see her at her trial.

After about ten minutes of James and me not eating, and Albus watching us glumly, Mr. Potter sighed. "Fine. I suppose you're ready?"

I nodded. James said, "Yeah," and hopped up to get the Floo powder.

"You'll be sitting with Ron and Rose," Mr. Potter said as he grabbed his briefcase. He paused, then sighed. "Don't let Rose get too upset, all right? Hermione said she wasn't doing well."

"Then maybe it's a good thing we're going," I said quietly.

"Yeah, we'll help her."

"Good. Well, let's go."

"Bye," Albus called as we walked over to the fireplace. I smiled a little and waved at him.

James and I each took a handful of Floo powder, threw it into the fireplace, and shouted, "The Ministry of Magic!" In seconds, all three of us were standing in an enormous room that was unlike anything I'd ever seen.

Fireplaces lined the walls, and wizards and witches were appearing in fireplaces all along the wall we stood by. Mr. Potter quickly moved us out of the way as a witch wearing dark blue robes appeared just behind us and rushed past without a second glance. On the opposite wall, small lines of wizards and witches formed before each fireplace, as people departed.

Mr. Potter steered us down the room towards a large fountain. It had a golden statue of six people. Little jets of water flew from the ends of the six drawn wands, and as we drew closer, I gasped. One of them had to be Mr. Potter. The lightning scar was visible on his face. The girl next to and slightly behind him, holding her wand defensively, looked like a much younger Mrs. Potter.

"Yeah, that's Dad and Mum," James whispered as we passed. "And Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron..." He pointed to two more of the six figures, "And Uncl— I mean, Professor Longbottom, and Aunt— Well, Mrs. Luna Scamander."

"Why is there a statue of them here?"

"They led people in the Battle of Hogwarts, of course. While Dad and Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione were off trying to find Horcruxes, Mum and the others rebelled against the Death Eaters at Hogwarts, too. They really stood against Voldemort when everyone else had given up."

We were heading towards a pair of large golden gates at the end of the room. Through the crowds I caught sight of a few of my classmates. Here for the trial, too, I expected. Most of them looked nervous. Of course, they'd be the ones testifying to the Wizengamot, I realized after a moment. Lacy and Leah Macmillian, Iris Brown's older brother Elias, Clarissa Rogers, Trilia Bones... Of course they'd be nervous. I couldn't imagine what they were thinking.