Chapter 4 - The Verdict

Wow, I should think of some questions I can answer. You'll see what I think if you read on!

Long chapter, so sorry!!

~~~~

Throughout the whole Wizengamot, perhaps a dozen people raised their hands. I smiled involuntarily as a witch asked, raising her hand as she spoke, "And those for clearing the accused of all charges?"

Over half the Wizengamot raised their hands. James turned to grin at me as courtroom burst into chatter. The students' expressions around me varied from elation to outrage. I couldn't help beaming and hugging James and Rose.

Rose returned my smile without much enthusiasm. "Are you all right?" I asked, frowning.

"Yes, well..." She shrugged. "I don't really know. She was my boggart, remember? But I don't feel so scared of her anymore. It's confusing."

"Yeah." I sighed. "Right. That."

"I know she's innocent. I just don't know what to think."

I smiled again. "Of course. Rose, don't feel bad. Anyone would be scared, and it's great if you're not, but all right if you are."

"Astra, Teddy's here," James called, pointing towards the door. Teddy's turquoise hair stood out among the crowd that was exiting slowly through the dungeon's one door. He grinned and waved up at me.

"Tell your parents thanks for having me over," I said, waving back at Teddy as I talked to James. "And tell Albus I really wish he could have been here."

"Okay," James said distractedly. "I'll tell Dad you've left. But you've got to come back soon, all right?"

"Of course." I waved to my friends as I started down towards Teddy. If the crowds weren't so tight, I might have gone to speak to Wren, but I didn't have a chance. I'd probably see her soon. As I met Teddy at the door, I realized I didn't actually know what was going to happen to her. Where was she going to go? Was she coming back to Hogwarts? I didn't know. I'd ask Albus as soon as I could.

"So, how'd it go?" Teddy asked. Glancing around at the faces around me, I realized you probably wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at the crowd. There seemed to be a great deal of mixed feelings. Some people looked upset or angry. Some, confused or enlightened, as if they'd only just found out she wasn't really to blame. Still others looked as happy as I did.

"She's cleared of all charges," I said, grinning.

"Great!" Teddy exclaimed. He glanced through the crowd. "I guess Uncle Harry is busy?"

"I think so."

"All right. Well, we'll go see them tomorrow, how's that?"

"Perfect!"

Teddy grinned and dramatically offered me his arm. I took it, and we made our way back up to the lifts. I couldn't keep a smile off my face.

Once we got home, though, it finally disappeared. Before we walked through the door, I stopped. "Is Aunt Andromeda very angry?"

Teddy stopped too, frowning down at me as if that was a confusing question. Finally, he blinked and shook his head. "Of course not. Not at you, at least. Maybe Mr. Pouri and Uncle Harry. But why would she be mad at you?"

I shrugged. I was just used to having people at mad at me when I wasn't at Hogwarts, I guessed. I didn't tell Teddy that, though, and walked inside with a slightly less broad smile on my face.

Aunt Andromeda mainly seemed concerned for my mental well-being when she saw me. She kept asking if I was sure I was all right, though she did fume a bit at Mr. Potter and Professor Pouri, and I was sure they'd get an earful next time she saw them. However, everyone seemed more interested in hearing how the trial had gone than anything else.