Chapter 23 - Clues by Moonlight

My Ilvermorny House is Horned Serpent, which favors scholars and represents the mind. Such a shock for a Ravenclaw who cares entirely too much about her grades and thinks her mind is her only strong point. Honestly, though, the Hogwarts and Ilvermorny Houses are really different. I can't sum it up as well as this tumblr post so I'll just stick this here:

 I can't sum it up as well as this tumblr post so I'll just stick this here:

I don't think this chapter is late. However, I updated a few days behind when I was supposed to several weeks ago, and I've been off my schedule since then, so it feels like this chapter is four days late. Whether it is or not, here's an extra long one!

~~~~

The afternoon did not get remotely better. I spent quite a lot of time moping about, rethinking everything that had happened recently and wondering if I was somehow to blame for it all.

I ran into James eventually, and I could just feel his I told you so trying to come out as I briefly explained why I was on my own. He managed to push it down and give me some sympathy, and I appreciated that. He didn't like Marcus, but at least he was mature enough not to be a prat about it. Wait, did I just say James was mature? All right, maybe it wasn't maturity, but more of an understanding. He thought Marcus would end up like Mackenzie had, I didn't doubt. Well, he was wrong, but that was fine.

"Want to go to Spintwitches?" James asked as we walked down the road.

"It looks a little busy..." I eyed the sporting goods shop, which looked more packed than normal.

"Oh, yeah, makes sense." James pointed to a poster tacked onto an outside wall. Official Sponsor of the Welsh National Quidditch Team. "That's new. Everyone's wanting a poster or something. The Quidditch World Cup is next year, you know, and Wales is looking pretty good for it again."

I hadn't known any of that, but I smiled and nodded as if I did. "Of course. Let's skip that, then."

"Yeah. If you want a poster, Mum can get you one, I'm sure."

"I think I'm good," I said, shrugging.

"Want to go to Quaffle Co., then?" James asked, pointing down the road to a shop I'd never been in. "It's not anywhere near as popular, but I'm sure it's got okay Quidditch supplies. Never been, anyway."

We walked down the road, disturbing a group of birds that had settled on the sidewalk. As they flew up to perch on the roofs around us, James pushed the door to Quaffle Co. open, making a small bell jingle, and let me pass through.

Saying Quaffle Co. wasn't as popular as Spintwitches was like saying MySpace wasn't as popular as Facebook. There was absolutely no one there, and it didn't look like there had ever been anyone. I could see cobwebs on a few of the older brooms. A rogue Snitch zipped past me, trying to get out the door. James quickly closed it and batted the Snitch in the opposite direction. Other than one bored-looking employee, James and I were the only ones there.