Chapter 26 - Making Up

Of course, I already know what their baby will be, so I'll keep you guessing!

~~~~

I was surrounded by people almost immediately. I didn't recognize them, but that may have been because I was gasping for air and trying to push past them to make sure Marcus and Wren were okay. I was ushered to a tent before I could get to them, but I was relieved to see that they were levitated in right behind me.

The tent had partitions in it, and I heard low voices on the other side of the one near my bed. As I sat down, I realized just how tired I was, and also how much everything hurt. Looking down at my arms, I saw I was covered in soot and burns. Mrs. Longbottom bustled over to me, handing me a potion and a change of clothes from the scorched ones I was wearing. I downed the potion and immediately started to feel the pain being alleviated. I changed quickly, then Mrs. Longbottom gingerly lifted some of my hair.

"Oh, it's really in bad condition," she said, tutting. "Did you fall?" I nodded, too exhausted to speak. "Don't you worry, dear. I can fix it," she said soothingly. "You lie down for now. That can be done later."

She hurried off around the partition, and I gingerly sat back down, wincing as my burns rubbed against the cot. Before I could lie down, though, someone burst through the entrance.

"Astra!" Albus exclaimed, running over to me and throwing his arms around me. He backed off immediately when I winced, his eyes wide. "Sorry. You're hurt..." He gently touched my cheek, just below a burn I hadn't known I'd had, as James and Colette followed him in. They took one look at us, glanced at each other, and headed over to Wren, who was stirring feebly.

"I'm fine, really," I said, or tried to say. My voice was a lot hoarser than I'd realized. "Mrs. Longbottom gave me a potion—" I had to cut myself short as I started coughing.

Albus's brow creased with worry. "Are you sure you're fine?" he asked. I nodded, and he slowly sat down next to me. "Listen, Astra, I'm really sorry. About everything. It's all my fault—"

"It's not—"

"It is, and I should've apologized right away." He sighed. "I should never have let a silly crush wreck our friendship. It means so much more to me than something stupid like that."

I blinked. "What?"

Albus was avoiding my gaze now. "Yeah... I thought you would've guessed. I liked you. But really, I've moved on—completely, totally over it—and I want to be friends. Again. I'm glad you're with Marcus. You're happy. And I don't want to ruin that, because I know I have been. I'm sorry..."

So it was true. He had liked me, but he didn't anymore. I had to say I was relieved. I wanted my best friend back, but I didn't know if it would ever go beyond that. We were too close. Anyway, there was Marcus right now.

"I was so worried that you were going to die," Albus whispered after a minute. I realized he was fighting back tears. "I-I was worried you were going to die, and the last thing I'd said to you would have been something terrible. I would never have been able to forgive myself."

The potion was kicking in, so I hugged him tightly. "You think I'd just leave you like that?" I whispered, trying not to let myself cry as well. "I'm sorry, too. I've missed you so much."