one // first day

First day at a new school. Let's just say, it's terrifying. Completely and utterly terrifying. I'm a senior in high school, and I'm starting a new school in my final year.

I've been in High Point for about a month now just trying to learn my new surroundings. Although, I didn't really leave the house much because I didn't want to be that loser girl going everywhere by herself. You know, no friends and all.

Moving from Indiana to North Carolina was a big change. I had lived there all my life, and now it's like I'm in a foreign country. Dad got a promotion. Not that he hasn't gotten them before, but this one was major, which required us to pack up and move. Yay.

"Kacey, it's almost time for you to leave. Wouldn't want you to be late on your first day!" my dad exclaimed as he walked into my room. He had his bag and coffee in hand, meaning he was leaving me. I just nodded and continued to get ready. I threw the last of my supplies into my bag and walked downstairs.

I grab my to-go coffee mug sitting on the counter, grab my keys off the hook and walk out the door. I threw my things into the passenger seat and turned my car on. Machine Gun Kelly was blasting through the speakers. I rolled down my window and began my drive to my new school.

---

Fifteen minutes later, I pulled into the parking lot. Immediately I felt like everyone was staring at me, as if they could tell I was new. Maybe these kids have "newbie" detectors installed in them. I don't know, but it was weird. Being nervous was an understatement. My anxiety is going through the roof.

I get out of the car and walk towards the building. Not that I know where I'm going, but I'll have to figure it out I guess. Every single eye in the parking lot turned to me as I walked by. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Walking into the building, I noticed a sign directing me to the main office. Thank God. I walked in the direction the sign told me to go, and soon enough, I found it.

There was a group of five boys standing just outside the office doors, and it looked like they were all arguing.

"This is bullshit!" one of them yells.

"Relax man, we're handling this," the tallest one said.

"Well do a better job at it! If they find us, we're all dead and you fucking know that!" the first boy yelled.

I stand there awkwardly for a minute, not sure whether to ask them to move so I can go in or not.

"What the fuck are you looking at?" the first boy says, directing his attention to me.

"I just need to get to the office, but you're in the way," I reply quietly.

"Fucking freshman," he mutters.

"I'm actually a senior," I snap back. The tallest one pushes him aside to let me through.

"I hate fucking newbies."

I walk into the office and immediately I'm greeted by one of the many secretaries at the desk.

"Hi, I'm here to pick up my schedule. I'm new here," I say quietly.

"What's your name sweetheart?"

"Kacey Anne Marie Roberts."

She handed me a copy of my schedule along with a map of the school to help me find all my classes. She directed me to my locker so I could put some of my things away.

English is my first class of the day. After putting my belongings into my locker, I walk towards the room. I enter and sit away from everyone who was already there. The next person who walks in is one of the boys from earlier outside the office.

He's tall but not too tall, probably around 5'9 or so. He's got chocolate brown hair, at least that's what it looks like from the little bit poking out from underneath his hat. He has blue-green colored eyes, but I try not to look at him, as he looks way too intimidating. What really catches my eye though, is the tattoo on his left forearm. I couldn't tell what it was, but I was curious.

Out of all the empty seats in the room, he chooses the one directly next to me. Great. Honestly, it makes me nervous having him sit next to me, and I don't understand why. He's just a boy.

Everyone files in within the next couple of minutes, filling up the rest of the empty seats in the room. The teacher walks in after the rest of the students, sets his things down and prepares to start class as the bell rings.

He began taking attendance, and I found out the boy next to me was named Erik. Makes sense. Intimidating look, intimidating name. Out of the corner of my eye I could feel him staring at me or sneaking glances at me, and I didn't know why. It was kind of creepy if you ask me. The teacher called out my name, and I just raised my hand.

"Are you our new student?" he asked. I nodded. "Welcome to High Point High!" He was way too cheery for it being 7:30am.

Throughout the entire class, Erik kept looking at me. I wonder what his issue is.