sixteen // the fight that ensues

William takes me back to Ryan's to get me cleaned up. The first thing I do is hop in a shower.

Ten minutes later, I step out and hear yelling coming from the living room. I open the bathroom door a crack and stick my head out.

"What the fuck happened Willy?" Ryan screamed. William was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands, staring at the floor.

"She got jumped waiting for me outside."

"Why the fuck was she not inside with you?"

"Because she wanted to wait outside. How was I supposed to know that would happen?"

"You should've made her go in with you, knowing full fucking well what they're trying to do!"

"I'm sorry I'm not you. I don't try to control every single thing she does because Kacey is her own fucking person. I don't tell her how to live her life!" William shouted back.

"Guys, that's enough," I say, emerging from the bathroom.

"Stay the fuck out of it."

"No, Ryan. William's right. I'm a strong, independent woman who can make her own fucking choices and doesn't need a man telling her what she can and can't do. Don't you think for a second that you own me, and that goes for all of you. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here right now, and you guys would be having a completely different conversation right now," I retort.

"If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place," Ryan replied. William got up and stormed out of the house. I followed him.

Out on the porch, I sat down beside him.

"You're not a follower, William, and this wasn't your fault. Don't you dare for one second blame yourself for this. I would be God knows where right now if you hadn't come outside when you did. You have a backbone. Please don't beat yourself up for this," I say to him. He just leans over and lays his head on my shoulder.

We sit there for what feel like an eternity before someone comes outside to join us.

"Can I talk to you for a minute, K?" William gets up and goes inside, and Ryan takes his place.

"I'm sorry I tell you what to do and I'm sorry that I try to control you. I'm sorry I'm such an asshole and I'm sorry that you got sucked into this shitty life we've been living. If I could take it all back, I would. I never wanted you to get hurt because of us," he said, turning me towards him.

"Ryan, you can't kiss me and tell me how you feel about me then go and be a dick to me the next day. That's not how this is going to work, because I won't put up with that shit. So, you better choose, and choose fast. Either we're friends and you treat me like one, or we aren't." I get up and storm off. He calls after me, but I keep walking.

--

I texted Bubba the next day asking him to help me train some more. I'm still sore from the attack, but I'm furious at myself for not being more prepared.

"Hey, B. Ryan still mad?"

"Yeah. After you took off, he left. Chase and Erik have been out looking for him all night, but they haven't found him yet. No one has heard from him. We're starting to get worried."

We walk into his basement and the first thing I go to is the punching bag. Neither of us say much. Bubba occasionally corrects my form, but that's it.

"Kacey, what's going on between you and Ryan?"

"What do you mean?"

"Things have been different between you guys for a few days. Not that that's a bad thing, but I noticed. I'm sure the others have too. Is there something going on?"

"No." I turn my attention back to the bag and begin hitting and kicking harder than before. "I just need to train more and worry less. I can't let what happened happen again. I need to be ready, and I can't have any distractions. That includes Ryan."

"No matter what, nothing could have prepared you for what you went through. You could have all the training in the world, and the same thing would have happened. You went through hell. They've been training since the time they could walk. You've been training for a few weeks. William and I came up with a plan last night. And if we follow through, you'll need a lot more training than you have now."

--

I spent the remainder of the day at Bubba's. The majority of the time was spent in the basement working out, with occasional breaks for food. The rest of the guys showed up, minus Ryan. They wanted to help.

"Guys, I have a question. When is this plan being put into place?" We went ahead and decided to do it, without Ryan's consent.

"A week from Friday; about ten days from now," Chase replied.

"Kacey, we've been thinking. We don't think you should go. It's not safe for you to be around us. You could get hurt again, or worse, killed," Bubba said.

"I don't care. I've made it this far. I'm not backing out now."