fourteen // feelings

We developed a plan.

Alright, technically the guys developed a plan. I just sat there, lost in my own thoughts. I can't get over that there have been people following me around for weeks. How much of my life have they seen? How have they been getting their information?

And I couldn't help but wonder why Ryan got so upset. It's not like he cares about me. I know he doesn't. But part of me can't help but wonder if he does, and that he just puts on a façade so he doesn't have to face his feelings.

"Guys, I have a question," I say. They all stop talking and turn to face me. "How have they been watching me? I know they've been following me but what about when I'm in my house or when I'm with one of you?"

"We have reason to believe that they broke into your house at some point in time and installed cameras in every ceiling corner they could access. We were told they're small, barely noticeable, so that's probably why you had no idea they were there," Chase replied, putting a hand on my knee.

Fucking fantastic. Some random guys broke into my house and have been spying on me. All because I'm friends with the guys who escaped them.

This whole situation is extremely fucked up. I can't even wrap my head around it. I feel like I'm going to explode.

"I need a minute." I get up and run out the front door.

This whole situation just makes me sick to my stomach. How can any sane person do this to another and find it to be completely normal?

I'm out on the porch for what feels like an eternity, even though it's only been a few minutes, when I hear the door open and shut behind me.

"Hey."

I turn around.

"Hey," I reply, forcing a smile.

"It's a lot to take in, I know. But I promise you it'll be okay. We won't let anything happen to you. Iwon't let anything happen to you." He sits down next to me and places his arm around my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

"It's not just this though. There's so much more going on that you guys don't even know about. I don't know if I can do this anymore."

Chase was right earlier when he asked if I was thinking about a guy. I only said no because I didn't want him to know I was thinking about his best friend. And these feelings are getting harder and harder to fight every single day.

I mean, just look at him. Even in this shitty porch lighting, he looks like he was carved by the Gods themselves. The way his hair curls slightly at the ends. His soft blue eyes with a small hint of green in them. His rare smile that makes my heart melt every time I see it. His southern accent he tries so hard to hide when he speaks.

I love every single thing about this man, and I hate it.

We would never work out though because of all this mafia bullshit, so I don't know why I'm even worrying about it. And even if it did, I would only become more of a target.

And I'm not exactly the most desirable girl on the planet, so it's not like he would want me anyways.

"What are you thinking about?" he asks, snapping me out of my own mind.

"Nothing."

"Kacey, we're friends. That look right there is you're thinking look. Just because we just met doesn't mean I don't know you or pay attention to you. I'm more observant than you think. You can trust me; talk to me."

"It's nothing. Just some life shit," I reply, shrugging my shoulders.

"Enlighten me."

"No."

"Well, can I tell you something?" I nod. "I was thinking about you, too."

In that moment, I felt my heart stop. He moves his arm from my shoulder and places it around my waist and places his other on my cheek. He pulls me as close to him as he can and kisses me, closing what little space there was between us.

It didn't last long, but I wished it could go on forever. He pulled away but placed his forehead on mine. Neither of us said anything for a few minutes.

"Kacey, we can't," he said, finally breaking the silence.

"I know."

"When this is all over, I promise we can be together. Just promise me you'll wait for me."

"I promise, Ryan."