two // the boys

The rest of my classes went okay yesterday. I didn't talk to anyone. Not because I didn't want to but... Well, yeah, I didn't want to.

Today wasn't as bad. No one stared at me as I walked into the building. I think it was just the first day kind of thing. I walked to my locker to get out what I would need for my morning classes, when I look and see the same group of boys walking directly towards me.

And they're all staring at me.

I divert my eyes and pretend like I didn't see them, but it didn't seem to do much good because they stopped right next to me.

"New kid, right?" Erik asks. I look at him and nod.

"Do you not speak?" the tall one laughs. The rest follow suit.

"Yeah, I do. What do you want?" I retort.

"Someone's feeling feisty this morning," the short one commented. He gave me a strange look that I didn't appreciate. I rolled my eyes and shut my locker to head off to class.

"See you soon, Kacey," I heard Erik call from behind me. Lucky me, I get to deal with him first thing in the morning for the rest of the year.

I walk into class and sit down in the same seat as yesterday. A girl comes in and sits in the seat on my left, and turns to me.

"I saw you talking to them. Are you crazy?" she says. I have no idea who this girl is or why she's talking to me, but she needs to not.

"Why does it matter?" I reply, not bothering to look up from my notebook.

"Rumor has it they're crazy. Came from some sort of youth cult. They only talk to themselves unless they're addressed by a teacher. We call them The Boys. All we know about them is their names." I just look at her.

"You know Erik, obviously. The tall one with the really pretty deep brown eyes and fluffy brown hair is Chase Elliott. The other tall one is Bubba Wallace. Then we have William Byron, who is the most sociable out of the five but still doesn't talk to anyone but the other four boys. The shortest one is Ryan Blaney. He's kind of like the leader of the group, and he's super mysterious. He's a total badass but he's hot as fuck."

"They don't seem all that bad. Has anyone ever actually tried talking to them?"

"The last person that did supposedly dropped out of school because he was so scared of them. At least that's how the rumor goes. I moved here last year so I'm just going off what everyone has told me."

Erik walked in the room and the girl next to me shut right up. He sat down next to me again and just stared. What the fuck is his deal?

I roll my eyes and continue to doodle in my notebook, until someone slips something onto my desk.

"Meet after class behind the gym. We need to talk." Yeah right, like I'm going to do that. I glance over at Erik and he's still staring at me.

"Why the fuck do you keep staring at me?"

"I'm not."

"You are, and you can stop."

---

Class ended and I couldn't help but think about the note Erik slipped me. What does he need to talk to me about? I'm curious, but meeting him behind the gym seems sketchy.

Yeah, it's not happening.