epilogue // two years later

Ryan,

It's been two years, and I still feel the same pain today that I felt that day. I still cry and mourn, as do your friends and family.

It didn't feel right walking that stage without you. They called your name and Chase went up to get it. Bubba would've, but he didn't go.

We haven't spent as much time together after you died than we should've. It would've helped us all. It definitely hit Bubba the hardest. He didn't speak to any of us for months. He's doing better, but he'll never be the same. None of us will.

Your mom rarely leaves the house. Emma dropped out of college, but she met a guy. His name is Cale and they got married. They have a baby boy on the way. You would be so proud of her. Erik ended up graduating a year early, and she chose to go to Alabama for college. She's doing well.

Bubba joined the Army and is currently stationed in Daytona Beach, Florida. He took me to the race down there to see Chase. It was the coolest thing, and you would've loved it. His contract is up soon, then he plans on coming home.

Chase followed in his dad's footsteps and began racing. He won the Xfinity championship last year as a rookie, which no one saw coming. We were all there cheering him on, and we got to go to victory lane to celebrate with him. It wasn't the same without you. He's now driving for Hendrick Motorsports in the Cup series.

Erik went to college and graduated with a degree in criminal justice. He wants to help whoever he can. He feels like he has to, since no one was there to help him.

Neither William nor I went to UNC like we planned. We ended up getting an apartment together in Mooresville. I work full-time and so does he, so we don't see each other much. But he's always there when I need him. Especially at night. That seems to be when I miss you the most for whatever reason. He runs into my room, and usually lays with me until I fall asleep. He's really become my best friend, and I have you to thank for that. I don't know what I would do without him.

The one thing I remember most about you is the way you made me feel. I found your toughness to be extremely sexy, and I think you knew that. You always tried to show off when you were around me. You made me feel safe; like no one could ever hurt me.

We didn't get off on the best foot. To be quite frank, you were a fucking asshole. You screamed at me the first time we ever spoke. You were never afraid to let your emotions show, which is another thing I love about you. To this day, I still don't know what you were mad about, but it doesn't matter now.

The day you finally admitted how you truly felt about me is a day I will never forget. I hadn't told you mine, but you knew. You were good at picking up on those kinds of things. That was the same day we had our first kiss. After that you made a promise to me. You said,

"One day when this is all over, we'll be together. I promise."

Well Ryan, it's all over now. We can finally be together, like you promised we would be. Are you waiting for me?

I'll see you soon, my love.

Forever yours,

Kacey Anne Marie Roberts.

--

William's P.O.V.

It's been a long day at work, and I'm happy to finally be home. The door was unlocked, meaning Kacey's already home.

"Kacey?"

No answer.

Maybe she's asleep.

Trying my hardest to be quiet, I open her door a crack to see her laying, face down in her bed. Looking closer, I notice a piece of paper in her hand and the empty bottle of medicine on her bedside table. I rushed in.

"Kacey?" I yell.

Still no answer.

"Fuck."

I grab my phone and call 911. As soon as they say someone's on the way, I call the guys. Chase answers first.

"What's up, Willy?"

"Chase you need to get over here, now. I think Kacey killed herself."

"Hold up. What makes you think that?"

"There's a note in her hand, addressed to Ryan. There's an empty bottle of pills next to her, and she isn't moving. She's not breathing. Fuck man, I think she's gone."

"Did you call 911?"

"I'm not a fucking moron. Hurry the fuck up. I have to call the others."

I hang up and call the rest of them one by one.

The paramedics arrive right before Chase. I grab the letter from her hand before anyone else sees it and put it in my pocket.

The paramedics and police begin to ask questions, and I don't have any answers to give them, other than I was at work and she was like that when I came home. Of course, they say they'll have to make sure, but I had them my time punch slip. Once they leave, the guys start asking their questions.

"They don't know what she took, or how many. They don't even know if she'll wake up. First Ryan, now Kacey. I can't lose my best friend, guys. I can't." I start crying. The guys have never seen me cry, and I haven't cried in years.

"William, she's going to be okay. Let's go to the hospital," Chase said, helping me off the floor. We all pile into his truck and take off.

Once there, we all sit in the waiting room. We're there for hours before a doctor comes over to us, saying she's awake. We all rush in.

"Hey guys," she says weakly. I try my hardest to hold back the tears I feel welling up. "I want you to know something. All of you. I love you so much. Never forget that, okay?" We nod. "William, did you find my letter?"

"It's in my pocket, K. We love you more than you'll ever know," I reply.

"Never let it go, okay? Please keep it. There's one for each of you in the top drawer of my desk in my room. I love you." Her eyes close, and her chest falls. The monitor flatlines.

"No!"

"Willy, it's okay. She's with Ryan now. He'll take care of her," Erik says.

It's not okay though. She's gone.

She's really gone.