Bear With Me

(Chapter 16: Bear With Me)

Cynric blew out an annoyed sigh. His hands rested on his hips, and he paced the room as we waited for Leander to come back in with news about Circe. That name sounds familiar... I mused to myself, keeping my attention on the pacing Cynric. I groaned, slouching in my seat on the couch.

Leander entered the room, pocketing his phone with a grim look on his face. I sat up straighter awaiting his news as Cynric stopped moving to face Leander as well.

"We are going to have to take a trip up to see Circe," Leander stated, rubbing a hand through his hair. He glanced between Cynric and I. "I'd say it would be best to start off tomorrow. You guys can rest here for the night. We'll catch a flight up to Maine tomorrow and meet with Circe about what is going on. She claimed she couldn't talk about it over the phone." I groaned, staring out at the setting sun.

"So much traveling," I muttered out, watching the trees sway gently in the breeze. I haven't shifted in a while... I should probably do that soon...

"Maybe you should go for a run," Cynric stated. I whipped my head around in shock to him smiling slightly over towards me. "You were very longingly staring out the window. It was kind of obvious what was going through your head." I grinned back sheepishly.

"Yeah... I haven't gone for one in a while. I was thinking about going for one now." Cynric shooed me with his hands to leave.

"Yeah, you go for a run. We promise to try to not kill each other and break something while you're gone," Leander reassured. I stood up from my seat, stretching out a bit before heading towards the door.

"Keyword: try," I said over my shoulder. I navigated myself through the house, making my way towards the backyard. I slid open the same passage I used with Leander the last time I was here.

The fresh air was welcoming to my senses as I jogged my way to the tree line. The scent of the night slowly started to permeate the air, and the crickets were beginning their song. I made my way to the clothing cubbies stationed right inside the forest, stripping down behind a tree and shifting. I shook out my fur, trying to rid my skin of the feeling of thousands of ants marching a crossed my skin.

I stretched my front legs before my hind legs, and then I shot off into the woods. I refrained from releasing a sigh of relief at the feeling of the wind brushing through my fur. The decaying leaves from the past year moistened the floor of the woods, creating a spongy feel beneath the pads of my paws. Granted, the scents were harshly intensified due to not shifting recently, but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

I raced around for about a half hour, every once and a while letting my wolf take some free reign, so she could stretch out too. The sun had set by then, casting the forest into darkness. I didn't mind though; it gave me a sense of solitude.

I was making my way towards the manor from my position in the woods when my wolf suddenly went on alert. I slowed to a stop, lifting my nose to the air to scent the wind. 'What's the matter?' I asked my wolf when I didn't smell anything.

She just urged me to keep moving. I continued forward, wearily watching my surroundings with my wolf as we made our way back. Eerie silence instilled as I realized the crickets had stopped singing. Anxiety crawled up my spine, and I picked up my speed a bit.

The sound of chuffing picked up on my right, and I paused momentarily to register the sound. The sound continued, mixing in with the clicking of teeth. That noise is familiar... Where have I heard it before? It sounds like... Almost like... My eyes widened in fear before I took off darting towards the house. The bear roared behind me, barreling after me. The ground vibrated slightly with tremors as the bear's massive paws struck the forest floor behind me.

I peeked behind me to see the bear right on my tail. I yelped in surprise, trying to pick up speed away from the creature. I must not had been fast enough. With a last mighty roar, he swung his paw out, raking his claws down my side as he batted me out of the way, knocking my against a tree. The next thing I knew, I had fallen into the dark abyss; the animal's snarls echoing in my subconsciousness, couples by that of two others'.

~~~~

I felt something warm against my freezing body. A blanket wrapped its warmth around me, but did little against the wind's icy attacks. I whimpered as I curled in on myself and snuggled closer to the heat source. Once again, I was lulled back into the void.

~~~~

"I'm surprised that, with her bloodline, she still hasn't woken up." A voice that I didn't recognize met my ears, sounding far away. I tried opening my eyes, only to find I couldn't.

"Why is that?" a male's urgent tone replied. I knew that voice! I tried harder, imagining taking the Jaws of Life and opening my lids. I mentally cheered as my eyes opened a slit, but I was only greeted by bright light and three looming, blurred figures.

"I don't know," the voice said back quietly. Suddenly my eyes closed, and I could feel unconsciousness wrapping around me like a dark veil. No! Just a little bit longer! But despite my pleas, I was swallowed back into oblivion.

~~~~

I woke up, and this time my eyes opened without effort. I glanced around me to find myself laying on a small bed with a white comforter. The walls were painted a pale green, and the room held little furniture. A bed, nightstand with a small, simple lamp, and a digital alarm clock reading 12:36 PM. A double, sliding door was found across from the bed to which I assumed went to a closet.

I slowly sat up in the bed, surprising not feeling weak at all. I cautiously swung my feet over the edge of the bed and stood up. My hand hastily grabbed the nightstand as a wave a dizziness followed by black spot assaulted my head. After a moment, those went away, and I shuffled my way to the plain white door.

I opened it to find a long hallway with doors lining either side. Ignoring the doors, I lightly brushed my right hand's fingertips along the wall as I listened for any noises. Everything was silent. It seems like no one is home. Turning to the left at the end of the hallway, I found myself greeted by yet another hallway. This one was much shorter and ended in a staircase leading downwards.

At the bottom of the stairs, I found a living room with two black, plush looking sofas and a recliner of the same set. A large flat screen sat on top of a white table with glass doors holding what looked like a Blue Ray player and a PlayStation. I turned the corner to find a modern looking kitchen with granite counter tops. I ran my fingers along the counter and froze when I heard footsteps behind me.

"You're awake," a relieved voice reached my ears. I turned slightly, glancing over my shoulder.

"Yeah," I said quietly, wincing slightly when it came out raspy. "Do you have any water?" Cynric nodded and brushed by me to grab a glass from a nearby cabinet. He filled it up at a water dispenser built into the fridge. He handed it to me, and I gulped it down greedily. Closing my eyes, I reveled in the small piece of heaven soothing my dry throat. Once the glass was empty, I wiped my mouth and blushed when I found Cynric staring at me with an amused expression. I handed him the glass, and he set it down in the sink.

"Where are we?" I asked, taking in the apartment-like complex once again. Cynric's mouth opened as he got ready to explain.

"You're in my room," Leander answered for Cynric as he entered through another door. My eyes widened in surprise.

"This is your room?" Leander nodded in confirmation.

"But that doesn't matter anyways. You've put us a day behind schedule because of your accident in the woods. We need to be leaving within the hour. Get ready," he said in a commanding tone, shooing me off. "Get showered, and we'll get a changed of clothes for you." I made my way up the stairs, peeking over my shoulder to see no one was at the bottom. I shrugged continuing my way up.

~~~~~~~

Thank you all for suddenly finding my story! I've jumped up in readers and followers a lot recently (a surprise on my part), and I appreciate all the comments you guys are leaving! They really make my day xD