The Ball

(Chapter 22: The Ball)

My dress swished along the floor. I was a tad bit uncomfortable in the clothing, not used to over the shoulder sleeves. I looked down to smooth the dress once more in nerves, taking in the white lace that started off close knit, but then fanned out and became sparse, revealing a light, flamingo pink colored material. The maids pinned my hair up into an elaborate design despite my pleads to leave my hair be. They left me make-up-less, probably because it was easy to smell with our sensitive noses.

I wandered helplessly back and forth in front of the entrance doors. I was supposed to have an escort, but I didn't know who. I could only assume Leander, considering Cynric seemed to have been already chosen for someone...

~~~

"Elizabeth and I are betrothed," Cynric said, not bothering turning around. "Let us just say she is more interested in the ordeal more so than I."

"Betrothed?" I asked in astonishment. "Why haven't you mentioned this before?" Cynric's shoulders heaved in a deep sigh.

"It's never been brought up," He answered curtly. I opened my mouth to ask another question, but he cut me off. "Look, for a couple years, our families have been trying to reproduce a new lineage. Our parents have been trying to combine the Kadel's ability to see the future and the Nanik's ability to see the past. They hope to get an offspring to have both abilities."

"That's ridiculous. They should know even Purebloods can only achieve one family's power. If any more, it could kill them," Leander interjected.

"That's not a worry for them," Cynric muttered quietly. The conversation fell short as the three of us were grabbed by an individual maid and ushered towards different rooms.

"Oh, Master Nanik! Master Nanik, you're truly here!" an older maid cried as she picked up the hem of her skirt while running. I twisted around, looking over the girl who was rushing me into a room. The incoming maid stopped in front of Cynric with a smile.  "Miss Elizabeth heard the news and told me to come find you! Oh, she is so pleased! She insists that you escort her to her birthday ball this evening!"

~~~

"Hello? Earth to Ariadne!" a voice snapped me out of my memories, and I looked up into Leander's face. I smiled sheepishly before taking in the rest of his attire.

He wore the stereotypical shiny black shoes. His dress pants were black fitting slightly loosely around him, but still enough to show his leg shape. A dark grey vest hugged his torso, and underneath was a lighter grey collared shirt. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, showing off the bottom half of his tattoos. A tie hung loosely around his neck. His hair was gelled down, combed over to one side, and a suit jacket was flung over his shoulder, two fingers holding it from the neck. He raised an eyebrow as I check him out.

"You look nice," I complimented. "Your hair is definitely something new about you." He frowned deeply, running a hand through the style. Before I could yell at him to stop, he ran his hair wildly through it, messing it up.

"I don't do formal. The maids got pissed I wouldn't wear the suit jacket." He lifted it up a bit to prove his point before setting it on a nearby table. He shoved his hands into his pockets before looking at me.

"Oh, erh, you look nice as well," he said, looking off to the side. A blush crept up onto my cheeks, but I couldn't help but give a mock curtsy.

"Why, thank you, my good sir!" I said in a horribly fake, British accent. He chortled, a look of amusement in his eyes. A butler came up to the front of the doors.