Frozen

(Chapter 19: Frozen)

"What do you mean you 'don't know anything'?" the three of us chimed out at once. She had the audacity to look sheepish.

"I don't know anything. Look, I may be the novia de Theo, but he doesn't tell me much about his work. He's worried that it'll get me involved, and I'll get hurt. Astonishing isn't it?" she explained. Leander closed his eyes as he let out a deep breath. It was easy to tell he was trying to keep his emotions reigned in.

"Why did you call us here then if you do not have any information? Why the whole 'hush, hush not over the phone' deal?" Cynric asked, his normally calm voice leaking with irritation.

"It was just a means of getting you here." She leaned back in her seat. "And you came." Leander stood up from his seat, stalking towards her before leaning threateningly over her.

"You mean to tell me you told us you had a lead as to what happened, made us come all the way up here to visit you, go through a test, all because you wanted entertainment?" he seethed out. Circe looked like she was about to say yes. Her eyes flitted between the towering hostile in front of her to Cynric and I sitting on the seat.

"Maybe jus-" she started, but didn't finish before Leander lunged for her. A loud, animalistic roar tore from his throat. I jumped up, yelling for Leander to stop. He suddenly froze inches from a flinching Circe. She uncoiled, her eyes wide with terror at the frozen boy above her.

"Circe, get out of the seat," Cynric said, his tone once again hiding emotion. She looked at me terrified once she realized Leander was frozen in mid-air. Circe scurried across the room, pressing herself flat against the wall. Cynric snapped his fingers, and Leander unfroze, colliding painfully with the chair, causing it to screech back a few get for flopping onto its back. He looked over the seat cushion, glowering angrily at Cynric.

"What the hell? Why did you stop me?" Leander growled out, his voice dangerously low. Cynric jutted his chin out as he looked down at Leander.

"Hear her out." Leander's nose wrinkled in a snarl. I shuffled towards Leander, squatting down next to his fallen frame. He looked over towards me, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Relax, Leander. Let's hear her out, okay?" I said to him quietly, trying to soothe his anger. His eyes seemed to search my features, bouncing back and forth between my eyes before wandering elsewhere. He sighed and sent a glare to Circe who stood across the room before nodding curtly. He got off the chair, picking it up so it was upright. I smiled reassuringly at Circe, prompting her to finish what she was saying. I grabbed Leander's forearm which rested against the back of the chair to keep him from attacking Circe again.

"As I was saying," she started off again, hesitantly glancing towards Leander and I before looking at Cynric. "To be honest, I did partly call you guys out here because I was lonely and wanted so entertainment." I felt Leander's muscles tightened, causing me to squeeze his arm harder. "But I guess I have something that might be useful. I haven't seen Theo in about three weeks. He told me he didn't want me around because he was having some problems with a few guys," she explained, her words starting to roll more easily off her tongue. She stepped forward a few steps towards us.

"At the time, I didn't think it was anything big. I thought Theo was just being the overprotective boyfriend that didn't want his girlfriend involved with his affairs."

"But that wasn't the case?" I asked. She looked at me, her eyes shining with emotion.

"I thought it was like that until Leander called me about finding his place trashed and his eyeball in the fridge. Now it's clearer to me that it wasn't so much not getting involved in his affairs and being overprotective, but that my life could have actually been put at risk." Cynric nodded along with her explanation.

"Do you know anything about these people he was having problems with? Were they friends? Clients?" Circe shook her head.

"They definitely weren't friends. Theo doesn't really mettle in the business of other underground associations. He works with other enchanted jewelry vendors across the world, but that's mostly it."

"What about Leander? You're not involved with jewelry; how did you meet him?" I asked, turning to look at the boy next to me. He just shook his head.

"We met outside our businesses. That's different. She's just saying there's not a real reason for other types of underground marketers to go after him."

"So, who was it then?" I asked, not to anyone in particular. The room was swallowed in silence before Cynric stood up.

"I suppose we should go." Circe started forward, her arm outstretched a bit as if she was going to grab him.

"Already? You haven't been here that long..." she murmured out loud enough for us to hear. My heart broke a bit at the loneliness and disappointment that laced her voice. That explains the outward appearance and attitude. It's her armor. I thought to myself as I look at the girl in a new light in front of me. Cynric cut her a dirty look.

"We should not have been here in the first place. You had nothing for us." He beckoned us to follow him as he started towards the archway. Leander followed after him, sending Circe a sneer over his shoulder. I looked at the boys before making my way over to Circe.

"Give me your phone," I said to her, stretching my hand out to take her phone. She looked at my hand for a bit before tentatively reaching into her jacket pocket and pulling out her phone. I unlocked it, going to her contacts and adding my number.

"What are you doing, Ariadne? Let's go," Cynric's impatient voice sounded from the hallway behind me. I handed her her phone back, smiling at Circe and ignoring Cynric's words.

"Hit me up whenever you feel like you need to, okay?" I asked her. She nodded her head, and I could see she was attempting to hide a thankful smile. I turned around, heading towards the exit.

"Don't expect me to take you up on that!" Circe called behind me, I gave her a knowing look and smile over my shoulder.

"I know better," I whispered to myself as I neared the boys. Leander had a grim look on his face.

"Did you just give her your number?" He asked tightly. I nodded, not bothering to elaborate. He groaned. "You're too nice to people." Cynric snorted from the front of our line.

"I know that from experience," he said, probably mostly to himself.

As we exited the house, I breathed in the fresh forest scent deeply. Dusk was setting in, and chills crawled up my spine at the thought of being in the woods again. Cynric must have noticed somehow, because he dropped back, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"You will be okay. Leander and I are here this time." I nodded in response, staying quiet for a while.

"So, what now? Where do we go from here?" I asked the question that had been on my mind since we left Circe. Leander shrugged, but Cynric spoke up.

"I think I might know someone who can give us insight on what to do."