The Kadel Family

(Chapter 21: The Kadel Family)

I was outside. It was night time, and the crickets were singing their song. As I looked around, I noticed I was in an encampment around a cabin. Tents and  lean-tos were scattered around with various campfires. Woods surrounded the campground. Everyone was asleep, whether in their tents or out randomly on the grass. Some even carried guns that were thrown precariously off to the side next to them.

Looking in through the window of the cabin, I saw a single light flickering about. It illuminated a glass box, which contained inside a necklace with a rose pendant. I instantly recognized it as my family heirloom. I gasped silently, starting forward to get a closer look. Then like the shutters on a camera, the vision swirled to black, and I was suddenly back in Benedict's office with an awaiting Leander and Cynric.

"Well?" Cynric asked, grabbing my arm gently and rubbing his thumb comfortingly back and forth against it. Benedict made his way back to his seat, dragging his fingertips from object to object until he arrived at his seat. He grabbed the back, spinning the seat to face him. He grabbed both arm rests before slowly sinking into the seat and twirling back towards the front of the desk. Now that he was facing me again, I realized his irises and pupils were glazed over in a white film. He's... Blind? That must be his drawback! But for how long?

"It was night time. There was a cabin in some woods surrounded by tents and other temporary sleeping objects set up. Everyone was asleep... Some even in weird places. Inside the cabin, I saw my pendant!" I explained the overview of the vision. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Benedict nod his head.

"Sounds like a hunter encampment. Probably on the move to another location," Benedict added his input, now leaning his elbows against his desk as he moved his folded hands to his mouth in contemplation.

"So, how are we supposed to get any information on them? The vision didn't give us much to go by," Leander pointed out. Benedict's eyes flicked over to Leander.

"Yes, but there is someone who would have records on the events that transpired with these bandits."

"You do not mean... But no one knows where they went since they resigned from first ruling family! That was sixty years ago!"  Cynric uttered out in shock as he processed Benedict's words. Benedict nodded his head in confirmation.

"Excuse me..." I  interrupted, giving a timid smile when all three boys turned to me. "But who exactly are you talking about?"

"They're talking about the Kadel family. For around two hundred years, the Kadel family was the first ruling family. They were revered for their ability to bring back the dead. But of course, with great power, comes great consequences. For every year that the revived person lived, that many years were taken off the member of the Kadel family that revived them. This meant that many times the family members of the Kadel's lived short lives.

"About sixty years ago, the heir to the first ruling throne was killed. In attempts to bring him back, the patriarch of the time sacrificed the rest of his years to bring his son back to life. Once he was, the son relinquished the position to the Veilan family, claiming that their ability to see into the future would bring a brighter reign to our species," Leander explained to me. The room grew silent after his explanation, and I used that time to mull over and file away the information I had just received. It sucks being left out of the loop your entire life. I thought to myself somewhat bitterly.

"So, how are we supposed to contact a Pureblood family that went missing six decades ago?" I asked the obvious question, throwing it out to the room for someone to answer.

"The Tasrius family's matriarch kept tabs on the family. You see, they were fairly close years back. The Tasrius family carries the ability for telepathy with people they have bonds with. She may be close enough to one of their family members to have an established link," Benedict answered. Cynric stood up from his seat, and I slowly followed suit with Leander.

"Great, we will head for Texas now then." Cynric was stopped from turning around and leaving when Benedict waggled a finger at him.

"Ah, ah, ah. You can't leave yet. I helped you guys, now you have to return the favor by doing something I have a request for." All three of us tensed up. We shared a wary look.

"And what would this request be?" Cynric asked, his cool tone holding a sliver of apprehension.

"I want you to attend Elizabeth's birthday ball tonight." Then he glanced over at Leander and I. "And you two can tag along too, I suppose." Cynric looked like he was torn at what to do.

"All right, fine," He eventually relented after a few moments of contemplating. Benedict smiled widely, and I noticed that his eyes started to lose the filmy look they had from his side effects, and began to return to their original look.

"Great news! I'll call in a few maids to help you three get dressed and ready for the ball. Oh, Elizabeth will be so happy to hear you are attending, Cynric," Benedict said before pressing a few buttons on the phone stationed on his desk and barked a few commands through it. Soon enough, there was a knock on the door, and three maids entered the office space.

"Please, follow us to your quarters," they spoke eerily in sync. Cynric stepped forward, and I followed behind him next to Leander. Leander had his hands folded behind his head, and he let out a large yawn. As we exited the office, we made a left, starting down a hallway.

"Why is Elizabeth going to be so excited to see you, Cynric?" I questioned, taking in the decorations as we walked along.

"You mean you haven't figured it out yet?" Leander asked in a surprise tone, turning his torso towards me.

"Figured out what?"

"Elizabeth and I are betrothed," Cynric said, not bothering turning around. "Let us just say she is interested in the ordeal more so than I."