It Was Fun

(Chapter 31: It Was Fun)

I woke up to the subtle sounds of steady beeps. Cracking my eyes open, I was greeted by a plain, white ceiling. I tilted my head slightly, taking in the fairly barren hospital room I was in. An older tv was stationed in the corner next to the window. A simple wooden bench sat adjacent from my bed. A wardrobe was situated next to the bench.

I glanced over to my side to see Leander sitting in a visitor's seat, tapping away on his phone. He must have felt my stare on him because he perked up, setting his phone off to the side.

"You're awake! Are you okay?" he asked me, scooting the seat closer to the side of the bed. I sat up from my laying down position, feeling nothing but slightly dizziness.

"Yeah, I'm fine, but what about you? You were the one with bullets in your back, bleeding out in front of me!" A small smile graced Leander's mouth as he looked down at his hands.

"Yes, I'm fine. You saved me. Thanks for that by the way, I guess," he offered. I nodded my head, grinning back at him. I looked around my room once again, a frown tilting my lips.

"Where are we? Why are we here?" I asked. Flashes of what had happened that night made me realize the magnitude of what occurred. "And where's Cynric? Jackie?"

"We are at a hospital at Fenris Point. It's a community in Washington. You fainted after you healed me; everyone was worried," he paused momentarily. I looked back at him. "Jackie wanted to stay, but she needed to get back to Lucy and her family. Cynric took Elizabeth to South Korea for some bonding time. It seems somewhere along the line, he had a change a heart about her."

"Ah, I see," I started, feeling disappointment build. "Even though she's kind of a bitch, I guess I'm glad he's considering her. That is, if he likes her." There was a sudden change in the atmosphere and Leander's expressions, as if he was about to do something he'd regret.

"Speaking of changes of heart. Ari, I need to tell you something..." He took a deep breath, grabbing my hand. He stayed silent for a bit, and I felt dread seize me. Oh my god, did someone die? Is someone about to die? "Ari... I like you." He spoke hesitantly. I laughed lightly, relief rushing through my system.

"I like you too, Leander," I said in a teasing tone. Leander squeezed her hand. A frown made its way onto my face as I noticed he didn't start laughing.

"No, I mean I like you like you." My eyes widened in surprise as I registered his confession. Oh, that kind of like. I haven't even thought about anyone like that recently... I must have had a really terrified look on because Leander's facial features became panicked.

"It's okay if you don't like me back like that! I wasn't expecting you to return my feelings at all! I just wanted to get it off my chest..." I felt his hand begin to tremble slightly in mine, and I saw his face was very red. I opened my mouth to respond to him, when the door flew open, and my parents came rushing in.

"Are you okay?!" my mom wailed as she rushed in to hug me. I felt Leander start to pull his hand out from mine, but I latched on, squeezing it so he couldn't pull it away. When we pulled away from our hug, my mum returned back next to my dad; a smile of relief graced her face. I looked over at Leander to see him, staring at our hands silently with a light blush tinging his cheeks. I looked back at my mother in time to see the smile drop, and she became angry looking.

"What were you thinking!? Your father and I were thinking you were spending time at Leander's house, only to get a call in the middle of the night from Alpha Frank that our daughter has been admitted to their hospital in Washington?!" she accused, before sighing heavily through her nose. She looked over at my dad, probably waiting for him to rip into me. I only received a look of extreme disappointment.

"We can't change the things that have already happened. All that really matters is that you're okay, and you got your pendant back," he said, nodding his head towards the rose on my chest.

"Yes, we talked to Leander while we waited for our plane. He said that you saved him? How did you know what our special power was?" my mother asked curiously. I then noticed as her attention landed on our entwined hands, and she subtly nudged my dad, who then noticed it as well. I decided not to comment on their actions and just answer her questions.

"I remembered that one time when Dad got really hurt, and the doctors said he probably wouldn't make it. Then you went into his room, and when you came back out, he was all better. When I asked you what you did to heal him, you just said it was a family secret, and one day I maybe could learn it. I just kind of figured it out from there." Mom gave me a shocked look before glancing over army father.

"You were four when that happened. I'm surprised your remembered that!" she exclaimed. I just nodded in response. My dad sat down heavily on  a bench in front of window.

"Tell us everything that happened. Don't leave anything out," he ordered sternly, his face remaining impassive. Mom sat down hesitantly beside him. I grinned jubilantly, looking at Leander.

"It's a long story, so be prepared, but it was fun," I explained to my parents, turning back to them. They both just nodded in response.

And so I did. I told them everything that occurred. From when Cynric found out about my memory to the fight that put me in the hospital.

~~~~~~~

This is the end! It's probably not the ending you were looking for, sorry! It has been a ride, let me tell ya! It's been three years since this story was born, and that's an insane amount of time for a story! xD I'd like to thank everyone who has read this book and actually stuck through it, and I dedicate this last chapter to all of you!

Until next time,
Haley ✌️