The Ability to Use Telepathy

(Chapter 24: The Ability to Use Telepathy)

Stepping into the house, the first thing we were greeted with was a living room. Despite the outward appearance, everything inside the building was modernized. Here and there was a bit of rustic styling, such as the reclaimed wooden mantle and the deer antler lamp that sat on the end table. The air conditioning was welcoming from the brief heat we felt transferring from Veroncia's truck to the house.

"Ma'am! We're home!" Veronica called out, kicking her boots off in the tiled entryway. She padded part way across the living room before turning around and taking in our awkward stillness. "Well, come on, y'all!" she exclaimed, gesturing for us to follow her. We all shared a look before slipping our shoes off. We trailed after her and wound up in a kitchen. She was shuffling around in the fridge.

"Ma'am! Where's the left over chicken?" she asked over her shoulder as she continued to rummage through the appliance. Who is she yelling for? No one has even answered! I haven't even heard anyone else.

"Oh, Miles ate up the last of it while you were gone," an elderly voice answered behind us. I jumped, my heart rate picking up from being startled.

"What?! That's got me all fit to be tied now! My bread basket sure was looking forward to that chicken, darn tootin'! That uppity city boy is gonna hear it from me, sho 'nuff!" Veronica cried out as I turned around to see an aging black woman. Her hair was pulled back into a tight bun, and she wore a yellow sundress. She fixed her eyes on me, and a motherly smile worked its way onto her face.

"You must be Ariadne! Oh, dear, I've heard so much about you!" she called, pulling me into a hug. I chuckled uncomfortably, wrapping my arms reluctantly around her frame. We parted, and I noticed both Leander and Cynric were on guard.

"How have you heard of her before?" Cynric asked defensively. Wow! First words from him in so long! I muttered internally to myself. The woman turned towards Cynric and Leander with judging eyes. Her hands went onto her hips, and she stared them down.

"Oh, would you two stop your silliness! I've known you two since you were born! Leander, Cynric, stop your fussing! There's no danger here," She paused for a moment. "For now anyways, I don't know what I can promise y'all in a few moments." That set us all on edge, and we all stiffened at the words. Veronica came around the counter, munching happily on an apple.

"Mra'am gefs ll bofd up rike a rannlesnape fhen she wushes air magic somftimpes!" Veronica tried to explain around a big mouthful of apple. She nodded her head at her explanation as she bit into her apple again. We all stared at her in mild disgust and confusion.

"What Veronica means to say, is that the draw back to using my telepathy, is that my memories and thoughts get all muddled, and I can't rationalize correctly. I don't know how I'll act for a while. I never remember what I'm doing, but I remember the conversation I have using my ability afterwards and that's it," the woman answered, restating what Veronica attempted to say. There was a moment of silence before she clasped her hands over her chest.

"Oh, heavens me! I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Nora Tasrius, the matriarch of the Tasrius family," Nora introduced with an embarrassed smile stretching her cheeks.

"And you somehow know us?" Leander prompted after Cynric's question went unanswered. And the other one speaks! Nora clapped her hands together before clasping them.

"Ah, yes! As y'all probably know, I have a close connection with the Kadel family. They have a library that automatically records all that goes on in the world related to our kind. When new Purebloods are born, I'm contacted about it. I learn about their first few years, and this allows me to gain a strong enough connection to know when one dies."

"But why would you need to know if a Pureblood dies?" Cynric asked, suspicion lacing his voice. Nora shrugged.

"It's just something I feel I need to do," she answered somewhat vaguely. "So anyways, shall we get started? I was made aware by Benedict that you three were coming here in search of the Kadel family." She gestured for us to follow her into the living room.

"Y'all stay right here. Make yourselves comfortable. I'm going to go into the room where I perform my telepathy. Veronica?" she called out to the full-blown country girl as she started down the hallway by the living room. She looked up from her almost finished apple in surprise.

"Mpfh rifpht!" she responded as she rushed after the woman who beckoned her. Things went quiet for a bit, and then there was the subtle clicking of a lock. Veronica returned with her apple core, twirling a bronze key around her fingers. She paused momentarily in the living room.

"Y'all get as snug as a bug, ya hear? The ma'am will be out lickity split, ain'tcha gotta worry!" With that, she continued to the kitchen. She sat down next to me on the couch, and things went silent.

We sat in the quiet for a bit, and then it started. First it was just little knocks on the walls. Then they picked up like things were getting smashed around. Screams and growls crescendoed. Contained within the yelling was something about being wrongly convicted for murder and how she wasn't supposed to be in jail. I sent Veronica a terrified look, and she just smiled weakly back.

After a few minutes, things became scarcer and quieted down. Veronica got up from her seat, readjusting her pants before heading back towards the hallway. I went to follow after her, but Cynric quickly leaped into action, sitting next to me.

"It's best you just stay here for now," he said to me seriously. A paused, taking in his earnest gaze. In the background, I heard Veronica quietly ask Nora who she was. I nodded my head to show I would comply with his wishes, before leaning against the back of the couch. A door opened, and soon, Veronica came in with Nora holding her arm.

"He's in the northern Rockies of the United States," Nora informed us in a breathy tone. Leander stood up quickly, and I followed suit with him.

"Thank you for spending your time in order to tell us this. It is appreciated," Leander thanked her. I gave him a startled look. Since when has Leander been polite? Nora nodded in response, reaching her hands out to clasp his.

"You're very much welcome, dear. Would y'all like to stay for a night? We can have a nice feast for supper!" Nora offered, but Leander shook his head.

"No, it's best we head out to try to find the Kadel family. The Rockies take up a lot of ground that we need to cover," Leander answered her.

"Thank you for the offer though," Cynric added in. Nora beamed at us before patting Leander's hands and withdrawing her own.

"Well, alright then, stay safe, you three!" she yelled out as we started towards the door, I gave her a smile over my shoulder before nodding my head.

"We will!"