1.2

A Ship Caught in the Swarm

Even with both suits blasting at full propulsion, Reyne figured they needed at least ten seconds more than what they had to reach the Gryphon. He continually hit their thrust buttons, only to have the suits chime negative responses at his attempts.

"Ah, shit." He grimaced before giving the order he dreaded. "Get out of here, Throttle. You've got to leave us."

"Don't you dare leave us, Throttle," Sixx countered.

"Like hell I'm leaving, you idiots."

Through the window on the other side of the airlock Reyne noticed the ship's mechanic. Boden had stopped the door once it reached halfway down and was now motioning wildly with his hands. Unfortunately, Reyne couldn't speak to him through his comm link since the channel at that chamber had fried months ago, and he didn't have the credits to fix it.

"I can't make out what he's—oh." A retention cable shot out from the chamber and straight toward them. Reyne had only an instant to comprehend Boden's intent and prepare for the incoming object. "Hold on."

Reyne collided with—more so than caught—the heavy tow hook. The impact knocked the air from his lungs, and sharp pain stabbed where the hook had hit his chest. His suit blasted an alarm. Their forward movement instantly reversed. A single carabiner held the two men's suits together, and Sixx was yanked along like a raggedy doll. The cable jerked to a stop, and it felt like Reyne's arms were snapped from their sockets as their now-backward propulsion was halted.

The cable began to retract, the metal line sliding through Reyne's hands, and he scrambled to get a grip. He wrapped his hand around the hook just as the cable picked up speed. A lot of speed.

Reyne tried to find his breath as they were dragged to the ship. "Tell me you still have the package."

"I have it, plus a nasty case of whiplash."

"Good. Keep hanging on because we're coming in hard and fast."

It took them only a couple seconds to close the remaining distance. They flew into the airlock and slammed into the door on the far side of the small pressurization chamber.

The outer door clanged shut behind them, and with a low hum, the ship's EM field cycled up the gravity in the room. The men dropped to the floor with grunts.

Reyne pulled himself to his knees, seeing stars through the pain. "Hell," he ground out.

Sixx sat up. "That wasn't so—"

The Gryphon shot into jump speed with no warm-up. Reyne and Sixx were lifted off the ground for a tiny instant before smashing against the back wall.

Reyne couldn't breathe for several long seconds before he realized Sixx was lying on top of him. He managed to unhook their suits and roll the other man off.

The red light by the door switched to green. He twisted off his helmet and sucked in cool, fresh air. "You... were saying?"

Sixx came up on his elbows and tossed his helmet. "Now, that was a wild ride. Shit. That hurt."

Reyne dragged himself into a sitting position and leaned against the wall. "What are you complaining about? You used me to cushion your fall."

"Yeah? Try having a biome kit smash through your helmet."

Reyne looked to see Sixx gingerly touching his bloody, broken nose. Dark circles were already forming under his eyes. "You good?"

Sixx touched his forefinger and thumb tips together to form an O, for Okay.