5.12

Dangerous Commitments

CUF Armada, outside Myr

Anders looked across the room at the CUF's twenty-two commandants. Several wore concerned expressions, several others looked at him with confidence because already they knew why they'd been invited.

"Thank you for coming today," Anders began. "As you know, I've never held a face-to-face meeting with my entire senior staff before, but I believe the importance of today's discussion demands an in-person meeting. You may have heard that the Unityand theLittorioand their complements are undergoing renovations. That is true. However, those renovations are not to improve their fighting capabilities, but rather to repurpose those ships for deep space exploration. They will be the beginning of a new branch—the Collective Exploratory Forces."

Some brows furrowed, while others rose. He imagined many were surprised that they—the CUF's most senior-level officers—had heard nothing of a new branch.

Anders continued. "Parliament has rejected my course of action, but I reject Parliament, as it has not served the needs of its citizens for some time. Therefore, I've taken it upon myself to make the hard choices needed for the Collective's long-term survival. Without the colonies, Alluvia and Myr are struggling, and will continue to do so. I've learned that the Alliance of Free Colonies has already sent a colony ship outside our system, which means the Alliance will grow and accumulate resources while the Collective stagnates.

"While the CUF is crucial to the Collective citizens' protection, Parliament has no vision for the Collective's future. That's why I'm establishing a new military branch. Beginning today, one-third of the CUF's ships will be reallocated to the Collective Exploratory Forces. All personnel have the opportunity to remain within the CUF or transfer to the CEF to crew the colony ships. As the CEF is a long-term mission, families of personnel may of course join them on board the colony ships. I will command the CEF at the helm of the Littorio, and I expect Parliament will select a new Corps General to command the CUF. Before I continue with my plan, what questions do you have?"

The room erupted, just as Parliament had, only the officers soon found order and directed questions and concerns at Anders for the next three hours. After the questions evolved into conversation and opinion, Anders brought the room back to him by having assistants hand out thick packets detailing his plans and next steps for the CEF.

"I appreciate your insight and opinions. The Collective Exploratory Forces is here, regardless of what Parliament has to say about the matter. Tomorrow, each of you, as well as every active dromadier, has an individual choice to make: Remain serving the CUF and stay here within the Collective, or tour other star systems in search of new colonies as part of the CEF. Every dromadier will receive an announcement and packet outlining their options tomorrow morning."

Anders rubbed his hands together. "Now, return to your ships and communicate what you believe necessary to your staff. While I'd prefer you to leave Parliament out of this, I have no doubts that they'll soon learn of my actions. They will likely order you to prevent the CEF from proceeding with its mission, but I warn you, should you attempt to use force on Collective ships and citizens, retaliation will be swift and extreme. My efforts are to ensure the Collective has a future, and I will not let shortsighted politicians get in my way. Is that understood?"

Agreements came from most of the officers, though a few remained silent. Those were the ones Anders had expected to face off against. He stood. "You have a lot to think about and a lot to communicate to your crews. You'd better get started."

As the room cleared out, Anders thought through who would join him in the CEF. Four of the officers were Founders, and another two were close friends, giving him enough leaders for the colony ships. Of the remaining sixteen, he expected a few would join his cause. His greater concern was the ones who'd side with Parliament and would consider using force against their own compatriots. The longer the colony ships remained within the Collective, the greater the danger they were in. That's why he intended to have the colony ships depart the Collective within a week.