2.18

Gabriela Heid entered Devil Town's stationhouse like she didn't have a care in the world. Today, she wore the simple, scratchy CUF uniform assigned to all conscripts. She'd also lightened her hair and left it hang loose, though she still wasn't used to the sensation of hair on her shoulders.

One of the first lessons her father had taught was that the simplest disguises were often the most effective. She had to admit Mason was right about some things, such as espionage, assassinations, and torture. But he was terribly wrong about other things, especially the things that really mattered. Like freedom, equality, and the value of humanity.

Dozens of conscripts patrolled the stationhouse, and she blended in effortlessly. She scanned the fake pass-card and received a computer stick that led her through the crowd and to a door where she inserted the stick into the lock.

The computer stick emitted a masculine groan of ecstasy. "You fit me into that slot wonderfully, Ms. Smyth. You may now proceed. May your visit to Devil Town fulfill all your fantasies."

"It'll at least be a start," she murmured before she stepped out of the bustling room and into a winding corridor.

She continued until a tall, muscular man approached her. He looked her up and down appraisingly before giving her a smile that hinted at carnal promises.

Heid gave him a once-over and smiled in response because while he thought she was checking him out, she was scanning him for weapons. On the downside, he was carrying two pistols and a rather long knife. Nearly as many weapons that she had hidden under her uniform.

He motioned down the hallway. "If you'll come with me, I'll take you to see the stationmaster."

She could've sworn he'd said, "If you'll come forme." She tilted her head. "I'd like that very much."

Heid found the stationmaster sitting at his desk in an office that was outrageously gaudy. As soon as she entered, he stood and looked past her shoulder. "Leave us."

When the door closed behind her, she cast a glance to make sure they were alone. The stationmaster walked over to her and held out his hand. She masked her disdain of both the stationmaster and his décor by forcing a pleasant smile and giving him her hand.

"Gabriela, I've long since hoped to make your acquaintance," he said before bending over and kissing her hand. "Lincoln Finn, at your service."

He held onto her hand a second too long, but she let him linger.

"I've been looking forward to our visit," she said.

"Please have a seat, my dear." He returned to his desk and leaned back in his chair. "I have to admit. I'm surprised you came, especially after all that hoopla on the news lately."

She shrugged. "The CUF does make things a bit challenging, but I hope that I have nothing to worry about while I'm in your care."

"You're perfectly safe here," he said all too quickly.

Her lips curled upward. "Captain Reyne assured me that I should meet with you."

"Did he, now?"

"He did."

Lincoln's examined her smugly. "Well, I suppose you want to talk about how I can help your torrents out with—what is it that you're calling your little rebellion now? Oh, yes. The Fringe Liberation Campaign."

She shook her head. "No."

He leaned forward. "No? Why not?"

"We already know that you aren't going to support the Campaign. Not without keeping one hand in the Collective's coffers."

He frowned. "Then what are you doing here?"

Heid ran a finger sensually up her leg, and she noticed his gaze followed the motion. "I'd like to leave a message for Ausyar."

"I don't have any contact with Corps General Ausyar."

"You don't?" She cocked her head. "Funny, you told Reyne you did. And Seda seemed to think Ausyar paid you a hefty sum to lure me into a trap."

He stammered. "Nonsense. I have no idea what you're talking about. I simply preferred to negotiate with you instead of with an old traitor or a scarred pirate."

She unsheathed the knife hidden on her thigh and flung it at the stationmaster. The blade skewered Lincoln's eye and embedded deeply in his skull. The man was dead before he hit the floor.

She slid over his desk and searched the panel for the switch to lock the office door. Safely secure in the room, she glanced at her wrist comm and noted the three minutes she had before Ausyar's dromadiers would likely be crawling all over the place—assuming Lincoln had triggered an alarm when she'd first arrived.

Then, she plugged in a small computer stick into his computer panel and waited. When the light flashed green, which was the signal that the hacker had connected, she turned back to the body.

Heid tugged her knife free from his head, the movement making a wet sound as it pulled out of the eyeball. She cut open his shirt and carved her message to Ausyar... and more importantly, to her father.

Finished, she wiped the blade on Lincoln's shirt. She glanced at her comm. With nearly two minutes to spare, she stood and strolled right out the office's back door.

***END OF PART 2***

Keep reading onto Part 3 now!