3.10

Old Friends

Space, on the way to Terra

Heid sat in her quarters on board the Arcadia, staring at the blank comm screen. She'd been staring for a good ten minutes, trying to build her confidence. This wasn't the first time she'd called Barrett since she'd broken ties with the Forces, but this was the first time she'd be testing their friendship.

She took a deep breath. Then she dialed the number, using an encrypted scrambler.

He answered within a few seconds. "Hello, Gabi."

She smiled. "Hello, Barrett. You look good." He did. The blue commandant's uniform looked right on him, and he'd always had a natural poise and confidence that seemed to exude from him in every interaction.

"And you look stunning as always." He cocked his head. "I believe this is the first time I've seen you out of uniform. Even back at the Academy, I don't remember ever seeing you out of an approved uniform."

She glanced down at the simple clothes she now wore. Her shirt had been hand-sewn by a Nova colonist as a gift for her coming to Nova Colony's aid. She wore it as a reminder of whom she was fighting for. She turned her attention back to Barrett. "I won't take much of your time. I know the longer we talk, the greater the risk of having our comms intercepted. Do you remember the conversation we had the last time we spoke?"

He nodded. "I do, and I still stand by my belief in equality for all. As do the other two. We all believe what you did was courageous, but you'll always be on the run as long as you're alive and the Arcadia flies."

"Don't worry about me," she said. "I can take care of myself."

"I have no doubt," he said.

She inhaled. "I'm sure you saw Stationmaster Faulk's broadcast."

"Everyone has seen the broadcast. Ausyar has ordered the entire Armada to be sent to the fringe, though we're still awaiting direction on how the Forces will respond."

"And where are you to take the Littorio?" Heid asked.

"I'm off to Terra, leading a complement of two frigates and six destroyers," he said.

She lifted her chin. "Good. I need support at Terra."

"I see." His lips thinned. "Exactly what kind of support do you have in mind?"

She swallowed. "Whatever support it takes to ensure Rebus Station remains in the hands of Terrans and not Ausyar."

He took a deep breath. "You were able to take the Arcadia because you'd spent years hand-picking your crew for that precise reason. Nearly all my crew are citizens, many of them Myrad. The Forces have changed since you left, Gabriela. Dromadiers will turn in their bunkmates at the slightest whisper of rebellion."

She swallowed. "I suspected as much."

He held up a hand. "However, if Ausyar were no longer corps general, I could be of great support to the colonies' quest for independence."

Chills flitted across her skin at the sudden hope sprouting inside her. "I believe my friends and I may be of assistance in making that happen. Your support means more than you'll ever know, Barrett."

He shrugged. "We go back a long way. You know you can count on me when it matters."

She smiled. "I know. And the others?"

"There's not a single warship commandant who wants to fire upon colonists. Smith and Lyness are both off to Darios, along with much of the remainder of the Armada. They, too, look for opportunities to bring peace to the Collective."

She frowned. "Why Darios? I thought Sol Base was firmly under CUF control, since the blight was destroyed."

"It is. But many other Darion colonies have banded together and have surrounded Sol Base. They keep picking off ground forces. They seem hell-bent on taking Sol Base, even if they have to blow the docks to take it."

Pride stirred. "Good for them. That blight wiped out their largest city, and they know the Myrads were behind it. Who can blame them for wanting anyone associated with Myr off their planet?"

He gave her a knowing look. "We both know the Collective will never willingly give up Darios. The planet's food feeds seventy percent of the Collective."

"The Collective should've considered that before they started treating colonists like second-class citizens," she retorted.

He held up his hands. "I agree, but I'm saying that out of all the colonies, the Collective depends on Darios."

"Then, we'll pry Darios out of the Collective's cold, dead hands if we have to," she said.

He frowned. "Let's hope things don't come to that." She heard a chime on his end, and he glanced away. "I'll talk to you soon." The screen went blank.

She gripped the table to hold her anxiety in check. She'd taken a great risk in calling Barrett, but the Campaign needed more support if it were to succeed.

Commandant Barrett Anders had been her study partner at the CUF military academy, and they'd remained close friends throughout their careers. He'd even dated her roommate, Lina, for a couple months. She realized that she should've told him Lina was currently sitting in prison, courtesy of Ausyar. News like that would've likely erased any of doubts he might still be having about helping the Campaign.

She pushed off from her desk. They'd be reaching their destination within four hours. It was time she met with her crew. They needed to understand what they were about to face at Terra.