4.17

Chess Games

Nova Colony within the Space Coast asteroid belt

Seda stepped out of the airlock along with his guards, Tax and Corbin, to find Critch waiting for him in a flight suit, with only his face shield open.

"You're late," Critch said.

"I've been busy coordinating activities," Seda said, pulling off his own helmet. "There's more negotiating and hand-holding involved in running a war than I ever imagined."

Critch grunted. "I'm glad you're handling that end, but if you'd delayed much longer, you would've found half of the CUF armada lined up along the Coast, ready to welcome you into a prison cell."

"I certainly hope it doesn't come to that, assuming our guest in our own prison cells is alive and well."

"He's alive," Critch said. "I've got a ride leaving in ten minutes to bring me to Terra. Try not to kill him until I get back."

"Trust me, he's worth far more to us alive. He started the war; I'm planning on using him to help end it."

Critch chuckled and patted Seda's shoulder. "Good luck with that." He motioned to the woman standing by him. "This is Layla. She'll show you around and take care of you while you're here. You can trust her with your life."

With that, Critch closed his face shield, stepped around Seda into the airlock, and disappeared behind the closing door.

"So, you're Seda Faulk," Layla mused. "I'm impressed. You're even more handsome in person."

He looked at her. She wore a dress, if it could even be called that. Her boots covered more skin than the band of tight clothing around her torso. He could imagine that Critch's warped sense of humor had found hiring a prostitute for Seda funny.

"Thank you, I suppose." He gestured to the pair of men at his back. "This is Tax, and this is Corbin. They go wherever I go."

"Mm," she said. "Hello, fellas. I want to go wherever you go, too." She turned back to Seda. "So where would you like to go first?"

"I'm sure I can find my way around. Can you point me in the right direction to where the prisoners are kept?"

She grabbed his right arm and looped her hand through, tugging them closer together. He noticed his men tense, but neither pulled her away from him.

She grinned. "I'll do you one better. I'll show you."

Her brow furrowed, and she squeezed his arm. "Synthetic?"

He nodded. "I lost it just below the shoulder."

She cocked her head. "It fits you nicely." Then, she gently pulled him forward. As she led him through the wide tunnel, he noticed people watching him. He'd been hidden away for so long, the sudden attention was almost unnerving.

"Wow," Layla began. "This might be the first time they aren't looking at me." She shrugged. "It's not every day people see our fearless leader."

"I'm not the only leader, and I can assure you, I'm certainly not fearless."

She turned them down a slightly smaller tunnel. Seda had the sensation that they were descending, but that was more dependent on where the electromagnetic gravity system was placed than from what was up or down.

"Doesn't matter what you think. You're the guy who signed the cease-fire. And, even more important, Critch seems to listen to you."

"I don't believe Critch listens to anyone."