5.19

Crazy Heroics

Alliance airspace, near Spate

The colonization fleet rested near one of Spate's eight moons. The area resembled a shipyard with the flurry of drones and transports coming to and leaving from the fleet, delivering the agreed supplies for the long journey ahead. The Alliance's first destroyer, the New Liberty, glistened in the distance as it stood watch like a stern mother standing between her children and whatever may dare approach uninvited.

Playan transports were in the process of docking at the seven largest ships, ready to unload nearly a thousand tons of carbon fiber to be used to build new colonies in some far-off system.

Every transport carried carbon fiber and Tulan Port personnel, except for the Henry Fitzroy, which brought several additional passengers whose jobs were far different from those unloading supplies. Reyne, the leader of that group, rode in the cockpit along with the ship's captain as he docked with the Littorio.

As soon as the docking sequence was complete, Reyne unhooked his seatbelt and stood. "I appreciate the lift, Will."

"I'm happy to help. If things go south and you need help in there—"

"If things go south, I need you here and ready to take off in case we have to make a hasty departure."

Will gave a small nod. "I'll be here." He took a quick breath before continuing. "You're doing the right thing. It's what she would've done."

Reyne didn't need to ask which "she" Will had been referring to. Prior to flying the Henry Fitzroy, Will had piloted the Arcadia under the command of Gabriela Heid. Reyne smiled and tilted his head in Will's direction, then left the bridge.

In the hallway, he met with the rescue team: Sixx and Boden from his crew; Hari; Miko and Roq from the Ocelot; and Domino, Sadie, and Tracks from the Lady Lilith.All the specters were in orbit around Darios, waiting for a call to attack the Littorioif it came to that. Reyne sure hoped it wouldn't.

The rescue team wore tech coveralls over their usual garb to blend in with the large numbers of personnel unloading and moving supplies around the ship. The Playan crew went about unloading the shipment, and the rescue team wheeled one stack of pallets on board the warship.

Reyne looked around the bay, empty except for two techs logging the supplies.

Sixx frowned. "There're no droms. Why are there no droms?"

Reyne shrugged. "Maybe they don't have enough to cover all the docks. Maybe they have something else on their hands. Maybe they trust us colonists."

Sixx guffawed. "It's definitely not that last bit."

"With how lax the security is, I bet we could walk this ship end to end without anyone even noticing," Boden said.

"Let's hope it stays that way. It'd make our job a whole lot easier." Reyne inhaled and rubbed his hands together. "Okay, this is where we part ways for now. Now, let's see if these techs are fans of Marshal Aramis Reyne. Either way, you can count on me to keep these guys busy while you bring our boy back."

With that, Reyne left the team and strode over to the techs. "Hi, I'm—"

"Aramis Reyne," one of the techs interrupted. "You're the torrent marshal. You led the Battle of Sol Base."

"I did, but I hope we can be friends now that the war is over."

The tech waved a hand through the air. "I always thought war was a stupid idea. You guys should've been free ages ago. Just about everyone on Alluvia thought so."