4.13

The Reunion

Smithton, Myr

Yang pulled up to the mansion. "Are you sure you don't want me to come in? I know the Wintsels and can—"

"No," Throttle said, cutting him off. "This isn't like Parliament. People will die in there, and I don't want that on your conscience."

Yang looked relieved. "All right. I'll be back here in ten minutes."

"We'll be ready," she said.

Throttle and Birk removed their wrist comms and left them on the back seat.

Birk leaned forward, and they kissed. After they pulled back, he spoke. "Don't start the fun without me."

Throttle smiled. "Then you'd better not be late."

She stepped out of the Rosten, and Yang and Birk departed. She took slow, confident steps toward the gargantuan mansion. When Reyne and Sixx had come to this house two years earlier, they'd snuck in through an office window in the dead of night. She strolled straight up to the front door in broad daylight.

A guard stepped out as she approached the door. He was tall and broad, and built like every other guard she'd seen on Axos's payroll.

"Is Mr. Wintsel expecting you?" he asked.

"No." She leaned closer. "But trust me, he wants to see me."

The guard looked her up and down. The corners of his lips curved upward as he surmised Throttle's intent was to get up close and personal with Axos Wintsel. In a way, he was right.

"I'll see if he is available. Your name, please," he said.

Throttle smiled. "He knows me as Halit Herley."

The guard frowned before his eyes widened. He pulled out his blaster and leveled it on her.

She held out her hands. "I'm unarmed. I'm just here to talk to Axos."

The guard spoke into his wrist comm. "I have Halit Herley at Door One, asking to see Mr. Wintsel."

Within seconds, two more guards appeared. One frisked her for weapons, double-checking her leg braces hidden by her coat, since he didn't seem to know what they were, while the other two pointed their weapons at her. Finding Throttle unarmed, he grabbed her arm and pulled her inside.

Any other Myrad would call the authorities if a known torrent came to their home. Axos wouldn't call the authorities on her because he'd want to deal with her himself.

They led her through the open foyer, down a wide hallway, and into an office. Axos sat behind a large wood desk, and Qelle Delta sat on a chaise off to the side. Since the woman didn't seem to recognize Throttle, she had to assume Delta was dead, and this iteration was Qelle Copy Echo or maybe even Foxtrot by now. This one watched her intently, but leaned back all the way as though trying to make herself as small as possible.

The guard walked Throttle to the center of the room.

Axos looked to his guards. "You, stay here. You two, search the house to make sure she didn't bring any friends."

Axos scrutinized her as he pushed to his feet. He grabbed a small device off the desk that Throttle remembered well. "I see you're walking, thanks to the implant I gave you."

"It's come in handy," she said.

He approached her and ran a finger down her cheek.

She refused to take a step back, let alone cringe.