Chtr 3: Mr. Too-Formal

Chapter Three

Charlton was pacing back and forth as I recapitulated what had just happened in my head. He and I were by the corridor of the eleventh floor to discuss about some things privately. "Some things" meaning my stupidity, my capacity to lie infront of people I didn't know, and my comprehending abilities because right now, I still could not process very much. Whether because of the drugs or the alcohol, I'll never know until I talk to my friends. 

After the people at the party all clapped for us, Charlton had decided to entertain them by wrapping his arm around my waist then wiping the dry icing from his suit to my face. They all laughed at that little stunt of his as I had a  distorted expression for my reaction. They laughed even harder.

Charlton, his father--or George--and I climbed down the stage and his father had asked him how he got the icing on his clothes. Charlton eyed me then had made up an excuse that he was searching for me and I was in a hurry to get to the party that I accidentally  bumped into him, thereby crushing the cake he was supposedly to give to his father.

"That's okay, son. At least you've shown me Alexandria to make up for it. Having you finally find yourself a wife-to-be is the best gift I could ever ask." he patted his son's back firmly. Charlton gulped. He knew that it was even harder to come clean about this whole thing now since his father was so happy about it. He then excused us from the party.

"Okay," his father said, "but make sure to come back because I'd very much like to get to know that fine little lady."

Charlton glared at the floor sternly. He was a stuffy man, that I could tell for sure. A cake baked by the most famous chef in France was his idea of a gift for his father-- a little too eccentric, don't you think? 

He ran his fingers through his hair cooly and then sighed deeply as he shook his head.

"I don't know. I simply don't know." he said grimly with his inconspicuous english accent as he dragged his hand down his chin. "I don't know how we were able to get into this mess and I don't know how to get out of it."

Ahh, this mess. I was a stranger that turned into his fake fiancee within the course of less than five minutes after we met each other. This was getting more and more cornier by the minute.

"Well, I do." I told him, matter-of-factly. 

He shifted his gaze to my eyes. His green ones were so lovely and majestic against his gentle facade, that it almost made my heart skip a beat as he was looking at me too long. I cleared my throat and looked away.

Then he put his hands on his hips, posing like a father who was ready to scold. Strangely enough, the way he stood with his rumpled hair also screamed hottie as if he could melt the whole space from where he was standing. That space including me.

"And what is it that you know?" his voice was rough and coarse from all the stress. Why did he need to worry so much?

"How to get out of this mess." I replied.

"And how do you propose we do that, exactly? We can't just blurt out to my father that this is all one big mistake, you know. It would absolutely break his heart." he looked elsewhere then he exhaled. 

I was about to tell him my plan when I heard my cellphone ring. I had completely forgotten all about Carter.

"Oh, one sec," I told Charlton as I answered my phone. "Hello?" 

"Lexy, we've been waiting for you for like half an hour now." Amy's voice this time. Ahh, sweet sweet Amy. I was seeking her.

"Aw, I'm sorry Ames-- is Carter still there?" I directly changed the topic. "And more importantly, did you or did you not put alcohol or drugs in the water and sandwhich you brought for me?" I emphasized because I was angry as hell.