4. Some things are meant to be... some aren't

Hello, thank you everyone for all the sweet comments and I'm glad you guys are liking my story so far! I really recommend that you think twice about the title and what happens in this chapter. The title's meaning will be important later on in the story ;)

(Castiel's POV)

"Hey Castiel!" Dean Winchester called enthusiastically as he ran up to Cas whom was walking towards the science block. Castiel just grunted slightly before quickening his pace in the hopes that Dean would get the idea and leave... but of course he didn't. "Where you going?" Dean questioned, easily catching the other boy's pace.

"What do you want Dean?" Castiel asked grumpily, he didn't want to be mean to the Winchester but he couldn't have Dean getting hurt because of him.

(Dean's POV)

As much as it sucked that Cas was still unpleasant towards him, it still made Dean's stomach flip when he noticed that Castiel had actually remembered his name. 'That's progress, I guess' Dean smiled victoriously to himself.

"I just want to talk to you Cas" The Winchester answered honestly with his best and most charming smile. Castiel opened up one of the double doors of the building and walked in without holding it open for his follower. Dean reflectively grabbed the door and held it open for himself as he followed suit.

"You do know that we are not friends, right? We had one class together" Castiel grumbled although his voice sounded harsher than what he actually intended. Dean couldn't help but let his smile fall for a spilt second, he knew that he and Castiel weren't exactly friends but just the way he said it made the Winchester's heart hurt. However as soon as Dean realized how stupid it was to be sad over one nerdy guy not liking you he quickly composed himself.

"If we started talking and spending time together then we might become friends?" Dean suggested, a hopeful glimmer in his eye as they walked side by side down the corridor. The Winchester had barely noticed how desperate he had become, usually everyone wanted to be his friend and he never had to even try to get someone to talk to him but.... Castiel was different.

(Castiel's POV)

Castiel knew what he was doing was wrong; he was pushing away a perfectly nice guy and making him feel bad for something that he had no control over. It's just that he can't have anyone else getting hurt because of him, people that get close to him always get hurt. Cas knew that if he let Dean wiggle his way into his life then it wouldn't end nicely for either of them so although he really did want to be the Winchester's friend, he decided to push him away instead. Plus people usually just ended up getting bored and leaving Castiel after a couple of weeks anyway, he was just saving Dean the trouble.

"Maybe I don't want to be friends with you Dean Winchester" Castiel replied in a disturbingly emotionless voice before licking his lips subconsciously.

"How would you even know? We could become the bestest of friends if you just gave it a shot" Dean fired back, somehow cocky and confident as ever.

Cas sighed and muttered under his breath as they walked around a corner, "Doubt it."