18. I bet I could eat more sour worms than you

(Dean’s POV)

Dean tried not to, he really, really did try. However despite his best efforts, five minutes later he physically could not stop himself from sneezing, his whole body shook so violently that he woke the boy lying on his chest. Castiel shook his head groggily and stretched his legs as he sat up and blinked away his sleep.

“Cas, I’m so sorry!” Dean apologized immediately as he sniffed and wiped at his nose which was so cold that he could no longer feel it.

Castiel just yawned in the most adorable way possible before he brushed a hand through his wildly inappropriate messy hair, “It’s alright, Dean, I am just freezing!” They both looked at each other for a second before laughing at the incredible improbability of their situation, it’s not every day your friend sleeps on you on a park bench during a freezing night.

They were much too cold to withstand the outside winds any longer and together they scrambled back into the comfort of the Impala. Dean effortlessly slipped into the driver’s seat like he had so many other times beforehand as Castiel carefully, cautious of his injuries, climbed awkwardly into the passenger seat. Once the heater was turned on it wasn’t long before Dean could feel his nose again and Cas’ lips weren’t looking so blue anymore. Not that Dean was really looking or paying attention to that sort of thing anyway.

“I am… so hungry. We both missed tea and that it just not acceptable, we have to fix that right away!” Dean argued, a playful smile on his lips as he desperately rubbed his hands together to generate extra warmth. It was already half past ten and they decided to call it a night, Dean silently commended himself, it was a very responsible decision to go home, get warm and eat a late dinner, it was much better than what he really wanted to do.

On the drive home the Winchester found his mind wandering and he couldn’t help but wish that he didn’t have to say goodbye to Cas just yet. He didn’t want to wait eleven hours to have to see him again at school; that was just unfair.  Dean was still considering the possibility of time travel when out of the corner of his eye he noticed Castiel struggling to lie back fully in his seat and Dean knew instantly that it was because of his injuries.

“Are you sure everything is alright Cas?” Dean asked for the hundredth time that night, taking his eyes off the road for a second to check up on Castiel. He had to make sure that he was alright, he needed him to be okay, especially since… well you know.

The injured boy just gave him a warm, reassuring smile from the passenger seat, “yes, I am sure Dean… now please keep your eyes on the road, or you’re going to get us both killed.” A lighter tone in his voice as he joked, which definitely pleased the Winchester.

“Whatever you say boss” Dean grinned, averting his eyes just in time to notice that he had accidently drifted into the other lane, he quickly turned the steering wheel and repositioned the Impala. Once he had regained control he slowly looked over and saw Castiel staring at him with a told-you-so look on his face. Dean just responded with a sheepish smile before focusing his attention back to driving the car and keeping them both alive.

____

Dean Winchester carefully pulled the Impala over to the side of the road just outside the Novak house, for the third time that day he realized as he turned the engine off. Castiel very gingerly slipped out of the Winchester’s jacket and thanked him once more before handing it back over.