15. Non-dates and twenty questions

(Dean’s POV)

“Who was that?” Castiel asked from his resting place against the Impala’s bonnet, his arms behind him, supporting him, and his legs lounged out and crossed in front of him. The Winchester definitely did not find that totally attractive as he looked over and got a good look of Cas’ long body leaning against his baby.

“That was my little brother, he has a detention!” Dean laughed, his whole-body wobbling slightly as he walked the short distance back over to Cas through the empty car-park.

“I thought you said your brother was a... well for the lack of a better term, a well-behaved student?” Castiel questioned, his eyebrows furrowing once again. Dean wondered if he ever got frustrated at the fact that he always seemed to be confused about something.

Dean stopped a short distance in front of Cas and his Impala, “He is, trust me! I am just as surprised as you are, but still, I am quite proud.” As he spoke Dean adopted that usual cheesy smile he got whenever he talked about his little brother, Sammy.

“In my experience earning yourself a detention is not something to be proud of…” Castiel commented, quite judgmentally, but Dean just couldn’t take offence to it because he had a point.

“Yeah, well, my brain must be wired a little differently” Dean joked along with unusual hand gestures towards his head. Cas just gave him a funny look before looking down and chuckling to himself, never in his life had Dean wanted to be able to read someone’s mind so badly.  

Castiel then looked up and over at the Winchester with a cheeky grin, “So, are we going for those milkshakes you promised or what?” Dean was pretty impressed by the forward-ness of that, it was new from Cas but he found himself quite liking it.

“Oh yes, I am so down for milkshakes!” He clapped his hands together excitedly before taking a step closer to the Impala and opening the passenger door for Cas, “Get in then.” Castiel just smiled and said thank you before he walked around Dean and slid down into the passenger seat. Dean then shut the door behind him and walked around to the driver’s side of his baby so he could follow suit.

______

(Sam’s POV)

Detention passed painfully slowly for Sam, it just may have been the most boring forty minutes of his entire life. Maybe he was being a little overdramatic but between Mr. Owens lecturing all of them about their behavior and the time spent copying out the dictionary, Sam was well and truly ready to leave. Plus he really did not need to know what ambergris was.

“Now, I hope this will have been a valuable lesson for you all and it will teach you to behave properly next time, but I am certain I will be seeing most of you the same time next week. You’re dismissed.” Sam and Gabriel just shared a relived look before both picking up their bags and walking together out of the classroom.

“Freedom!” Gabriel celebrated, loudly and with his arms in the air, before he looked back to make sure that Mr. Owens had seen him. He was definitely loud enough for him (and everyone else) to hear. From the classroom door the teacher just crossed his arms and stared disapprovingly at Gabe.

“You just left detention and you’re already on your way to earning yourself another one” Sam joked as they both watched Mr. Owens shake his head and walk back into the classroom, most likely to write a ‘students I hate’ list.

“He loves me, he would never give me another detention, I mean isn’t 34 in one year enough?” Gabriel smirked, the student beside him wasn’t even remotely surprised about the number of Gabe’s detentions. Gabriel Novak, the trouble-maker, and Mr. Owen’s favourite student.