16. You can't choose your family

Hello there! I finally updated, yay :D But fair warning, there is bad language in this chapter and references to drugs and abuse. In the words of the tenth doctor: I am so, so sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Dean’s POV)

“Well… I did not see that coming” Dean Winchester commented as he pulled the Impala into his driveway and turned the engine off. The car ride had been pretty awkward, even despite Dean’s numerous jokes, but nevertheless they dropped off the Novak cousins and now they were parked out the front of the Winchester house.

“Neither did I” Sam admitted from the passenger seat, looking over at his brother with a uncertain look on his face. Dean just shrugged in return before climbing out of the car and slinging his school bag over his shoulder.

As Sam walked around the front of the car towards the front door, Dean stood directly in his path, “So, are you going to talk to me about this Gabriel?”

Sam forced the flustered look from his face before he stepped around his brother, “He is just a friend from school. Would you like to talk about the mysterious library guy, Castiel?”

“Not with you,” Dean laughed before he caught up to Sam and walked alongside him on the footpath towards their porch.

“Oh come on, I want to hear all about your feel-“

“SAM!” Dean cursed, interrupting him, as he noticed that through the front window you could see that the television was still turned on from this morning. “You’ve left the TV on, and now it’s been wasting electricity all day!” he huffed grumpily, pointing towards the window, that was essentially a big pile of money down the drain.

“What?! I did not, I certainly remember turning it off when you told me to this morning!” the younger Winchester protested, raising his hands for some sort of defense as his brother quickened his pace to reach the door those couple of seconds sooner.

“Then why is it on?” Dean grumbled, unlocking the front door and walking inside their house. His and Sammy’s house that is. Yep, the television was on. He kicked off his shoes, dropped his bag by the door and made his way around the couch so he could quickly turn the TV off. As if turning it off immediately would somehow make up for it being on for the last eight or so hours. Dean felt around the back of the television and pressed the off button, bringing an end to some Japanese game show just as someone shouted, in plain English by the way, “NUTCRACKER!”

“Dad?”

Dean spun around to see Sam standing over their father who was lying on their couch, motionless. The older brother rushed over to the couch and collapsed to his knees beside their father to make sure that he was at least alive. A quick check of the pulse revealed that he certainly was alive and still breathing… but he was a mess; his shirt was stained with god-knows-what, his hair was all over the place, and he smelled like alcohol and urine. He just looked terrible. Dean hated to think about what his father got himself into when he was gone but this is what always happened, John Winchester would disappear for days on end, weeks sometimes, and his sons would have absolutely no idea of his whereabouts. Then just as they were getting comfortable on their own, John would show up again, more broken than the last time, and usually be drunk and passed out somewhere. “He’s fine…” Dean reassured Sam before he carefully pried the empty beer can out of his father’s hand and placed it on the coffee table behind him.