12: Alone Together

• Dedicated to TO ALL OF MY FANS

Night has fallen and Bon Temp has drastically cooled from its blazing heat. I had got nothing done the whole day and I have just been feeling really lazy. I know that I am procrastinating doing anything, such as packing, saying goodbye, partying it up for my last nights, or, hell I don’t know, calling Eric, because I do not want to face the fact that my time in Bon Temp is coming to an end, and I may never see any of these people again. I’ve always been more of a city girl, which is why I moved to Baton Rouge. I wanted to make a career for myself and live the life. What I had not realized that I wasn’t really happy in the city; I was lost and most of all, unhappy with the way I have been living.

            In Bon Temp I feel alive. Maybe it is a temporary feeling, this feeling that washes over me every time my bare foot hits the wood flooring of Sookie’s old country home, which makes me want to stay. I feel so alive, which is almost funny seeing as my hot love interest consists of a living dead vampire who at any moment could decide that I would make a better meal than a living-mate.

            “Thinking of which, I should probably stop procrastinating and just call Eric,” I said aloud to myself, breaking the silence that had fallen upon Sookie’s old, creaky home. I threw my legs over the side of the bed, planting my feet firmly on the cool, wood flooring. Taking a deep breath, I hoisted myself up, careful not to get a head-rush and make myself dizzy, and walked over to the dresser where my cell phone had been lying the whole day.

*SHELBY MOORE YOU BETTER NOT MOVE DOWN THERE*

*SHELBY!*

*SHELLS AND CHEESE ANSWER ME*

            My laughter filled the silence of the house, echoing off of the walls. Poor Alex must be freaking out. I didn’t even realize that he might have been texting me this whole day. I shook my head and looked at the time on my phone.

            7:16, not bad. Only been spacing out for like, a whole day. Wasted. No big deal. We can live. It’s not like we only have one more day left to be in Bon Temp. You haven’t even called Eric. What are you going to do? Be happy or live in the city where you’ll marry a guy you don’t really love and have children.

            Sometimes I hate my conscience because it can be so right. What am I going to do? I texted Alex back real fast and dialed Eric’s number. The line was ringing and I was growing more and more nervous waiting for Eric to pick up. I tapped my foot impatiently, waiting for the voicemail.

            What if he doesn’t even like you, Shelby.

            The phone went to voicemail and I quickly hung up, embarrassed that I ever tried. What made me think that I was special enough for Eric Fucking Northman. He is a vampire, with lots of money and a great amount of sex-appeal. He could have any woman he wanted, just by one look of his icy blue eyes.

            I am such an idiot.

            I threw down my phone and headed downstairs to make some food. My stomach was gnawing at itself and my head was feeling light. My hands were shaking, which is a huge sign that I need to get food in my stomach, and I need it now. I strolled into the kitchen and opened up the refrigerator only to find a scarce amount of food.
            This does not look appetizing. Where is Sookie anyways? She should have been home ten minutes ago!

            I shrug to myself, knowing that Sookie probably stopped by Bill’s place for a little while to spend some time. I guess they are trying to work things out and whatnot.

Silence fell over the kitchen as I realized how alone I was today. Sookie had not been home all day and I had done nothing but day dream about a stupid Viking Vampire. Fucking Eric Northman, I swear.

            I ambled over to the phone and dialed the nearest pizza place’s number. Doesn’t pizza sound good? Pizza is always good. The telephone customer service representative answered the phone and I quickly rambled off my order to him: One large pepperoni Pizza, an order of breadsticks, with garlic sauce and marinara sauce. The boy thanked me and hung up.

            Deciding I should go grab my phone, I whisk upstairs and grab it. My iPhone screen lit up with two new text messages.

*BOUT FUCKING TIME.*

            This one was obviously from Alex. I rolled my eyes, not bothering to check the other text yet, and replied back to Alex with a big:

*Fuck you Alex, you lovable bitch, you*

            I chuckled to myself, making sure to fully pay attention as I went down the stairs. Jumping off the last step and onto the level floor, I walked into the living room to wait on the couch for my pizza man.

            Who else would have texting me?

            I quickly maneuvered over to the other text only to have my heartbeat stop.

            Oh my god!