09: Bro Code

“I can not believe you seriously agreed on a date with Eric Northman,” Sookie spat. I chuckled at her from across the kitchen table, raising my legs to rest them on her table. “No, Seriously! He is probably planning some way to get his fangs in your neck and his, well, you know in your— you know. Plus, he is totally gross,” I sipped on my cup of coffee shaking my head at Sookie’s rant. She is probably just mad about you two going on a date. Eric did say they used to have something. Then again, Eric could have just said that to cause problems. He is like that.

            “Sookie, it is just one date. I’m not going to fall in love with him,” I set my cup of coffee down on her daisy pleated table clothes, “I just thought maybe I should give him a chance to redeem himself after all his assy-like behaviors he has had the whole time I’ve been down here. Do not worry about me Sookie,” Sookie’s concerned face stared at my passive one.

            “I once dated Eric. We slept together. I know he told you we had something and I’m not jealous or anything. He really made me think he cared, but he does not have a heart in him, Shelby. He is a cold, heartless, insensible man. The only thing he wants out of anyone anymore is their body, their blood, and anything else they have that could be of use to him. That is it,” I sighed loudly and grabbed my cup, bringing it over to her sink. I silently washed out the cup and set it down in her sink, resting my hands on the edge of the counter.

            “Sookie, it is one date. I’m not going to sleep with him or anything. Not unless we got hitched in Vegas anyways,” I joked with Sookie, flashing a toothy grin. She shot one back and collected her plate to rinse it off in the sink. I moved out of her way and carried on up the stairs to change into my bathing suit. I should really work on my tan; don’t have anything better to do today anyways.

            “I don’t work today! Want to do something,” my feet padded down the stairs and I grabbed the end rail to fling myself around it. I was face to face with her and I smiled. She looked me up and down; she grinned. “You’re sunbathing? Perfect,” she practically purred as she raced up the stairs to get changed. Sookie is a funny little thing! “I’m not little,” she yelled down at me.

            Everything in the house grew silent and I stared at the floor. How in the hell did she know what I was thinking. Had I said that out loud? No way, I would have heard myself say it. She wouldn’t have heard that anyways. Did she read my mind? What the hell is going on? Sookie appeared at the top of the stairs. Her mouth was wide open and her eyes almost as big as her mouth. We stared at each other for a long time, analyzing one another.

            “Shelby, I was going to tell you eventually,” I couldn’t help the gasp that escaped my mouth as I stared at Sookie, not believing what I was hearing. There is no way she can hear what I’m thinking. “I can hear your thoughts. I’m a fairy; we can hear thoughts,” I backed away from the stairs, staring disbelievingly at Sookie. This can not be.

            “Sookie,” was all I managed to choke out in my shock.

            “Come outside with me and I’ll explain everything while we soak up some sun, okay,” all I could manage to do was nod my head.

“That looks so good on you,” I nodded in agreement with Sookie. Nice choice of clothes Sookie. “Thanks! Oops! Sorry, I forgot about our agreement,” I turned around and giggled at Sookie. She could just be the cutest thing sometimes.

            “It’s okay Sookie. It is just so hard for me to wrap my head around you being a fairy. I thought they were always just something made up in folk tales and Disney movies,” We both laughed loudly thinking about how ridiculous it sounded for Sookie to be a fairy.

            While we sun bathed Sookie explained everything to me. I could not help but feel sorry for her; she seemed so sad. She gave me a new respect for Bill. He saved her life, and freed her mind from the tension of everyone’s thoughts. I always knew there was a reason why I liked him so much! Sookie and I agreed that she is not to read my mind as long as I am not keeping anything from her.

            There was a knock on the door downstairs. Sookie and I looked at each other questioningly. Eric wasn’t supposed to be at the house for another hour; I wouldn’t put it past him to be an hour early though. He just seemed like that kind of guy. Sookie made her way downstairs to see who it was at the door. From the top of the stairs I could see a figure behind the curtain. It didn’t look like Eric’s; Sookie hesitated before opening the door.

            “Jason! You scared Shelby and I to death! What are you doing over here so late; you never stop by anymore,” Jason stepped around Sookie and waved at me, smiling. Sookie shut the door and locked it.

            “Hey Jason, what’s up,” I walked down the stairs and stood next to Sookie, smiling. Jason looked me up and down smirking to himself.

            “Well hello to the both of you! Why you all dressed up Shelbs? You look great! And Sook, why can’t your own flesh and blood stop by to say hi? Didn’t know that was a crime around here,” Sookie looked at me and then back at Jason.

            “Jason, tell me the real reason you are here before I read your mind and pry it out of you,” Jason glared slightly at Sookie before sighing loudly.

            “I need a place to stay. I’ve slept with Jessica and now Hoyt is pissed off at me and I don’t know what to do and I feel so lonely at my place. I just need some comfort from my sister,” I raised my eyebrows looking at Jason in disbelief.

            “Sheesh, that’s rough. What ever happened to a bro code,” I muttered before making my way back upstairs to finish getting ready for my date with Eric.