Chapter 4

Ben wanted to look good for when he saw Hux at the junior party tomorrow, so after school he decided he'd go to the outlet mall to get some new clothes... or something.

He wanted to impress Hux, a guy with such expensive taste could only wear clothes that suited him. Ben wasn't going to change himself so Hux could like him, he was just going to get an outfit similar to Hux's style.

Class ended, Ben said goodbye to Finn and called an Uber to take him to the outlet. He texted Rey where he was going. When the Uber arrived, he got in the car and watched the scenery change: leaving the campus, going on the road and into the city. About 10 minutes later, he arrived, Ben getting out, waving a "thank you" to the driver and watching them drive away as he sat on a bench and thought about where'd he go.

He decided he wouldn't get a new outfit and he'd just wear whatever to the party, stressing the fact that he wasn't going to change himself for Hux in any form or (no pun intended) fashion. Since he was already at the outlet, he decided he go get some food at the food court.

Texting Finn if he wanted to meet him there, Ben made his way over to the food court and ordered teriyaki at Panda Express. Finn messages him back saying, "I'll be there in 10 minutes." Ben started to eat, and in little to no time, he saw Finn outside the food court, looking around. Ben waved and Finn caught sight of him, walking over to the table Ben was sitting at.

"Dude, are you going to that party for the juniors tomorrow?" Finn asked excitedly, sitting down in front of Ben.

"Yeah, I forgot to ask if you were." Ben said with his mouth full, swallowing.

"Oh. Who invited you? I might know him."

"Some junior in my drama class." Ben said quickly, hoping Finn wouldn't ask for his name. Ben couldn't say it without getting all... "giddy", Rey would probably describe it as.

"Mhm. Did I tell you about my half-cousin? Yeah, he's a junior here, he invited me. But I have to ask you something, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, ask me anything."

"What do I do if I see Poe there?"

Ben shrugged. "I wouldn't worry about it, like I told you, just ignore him."

"I've tried! And it works, in class that is, barely. But just imagine being near him at a party, I don't even know how to describe how that'll be an stuff, and then I'll like, see him-"

"Finn! Ok." Ben rested his hand on Finn's, getting him to relax. "Ok, do you want some hardcore Ben advice?" Ben asked, not knowing where he was going with that or what he was going to say.

Finn tilted his head, nodding.

Was Ben close enough with Finn to tell him about Ellen? He wouldn't give him the run-down of their relationship, just how he got Ellen to like him. The story was weird as hell, but he wasn't going to tell it to Finn. He was just going to tell him how to get someone to like him with a couple examples, nothing more.
*******
In the summertime of 2 years ago, Ben (with much shorter hair than now) threw on a red lifeguard hoodie and stepped outside in the sun, headed to his lifeguard chair. The sun shone brightly in the sky, it was blinding, so Ben put on his sunglasses. He climbed up on his chair, heaving himself to face the front and sat down, people-watching below him. He'd just gotten his first job as a lifeguard at 16 years old, and it was the end of his first week. Ben looked around, bored (desperately wanting to get in the pool instead of tanning in the burning sun), but not for much longer. Ben saw her.