Chapter 12 - Romeo and Juliet Muslim-Style and Spontaneous Waves of Jealousy

OH MY ALLAH I WORKED SO HARD TO GET THIS CHAPTER DONE TODAY. Here you go, I'm way too tired to blab. -_-

"Is that really IT?! No passionate kiss, no tender stroking of your face, no confessions of love?" -- Naomi from Confessions of a Muslim Girl

Chapter 12

Romeo and Juliet Muslim-Style and Spontaneous Waves of Jealousy

☼ Maysa Malik ☼

            I wish there was such a thing as do-over days. You know those days – the days where everything just happens to go wrong and you keep cursing fate? Yeah, I was having one of those days. And sometimes I really wish I could go back and do over that day.

            My weekend went great allhumdulillah; I spent my time lazing around the house all Saturday morning, something I rarely get to do. But I had gotten to bed late Sunday night, which is why I’m running late today. God, Mondays are so not my thing!

            First my alarm goes off twenty minutes later than usual. Not that I didn’t appreciate the extra sleep, but my waking up late causes both me and Zakariya to be late to school because he drives me. In the car, Zakariya drives with a scowl on his face, mumbling incoherent things about having to meet someone before school and how he was going to be late. I sigh and grit my teeth. This was one of those moments that I was cursing fate, because today just has to be the one day that Zak has to go to school early.

            After the final bell rings signaling the official start of the school day, I gratefully sink into my seat in Mr. Kennedy’s class. He smiles at me slightly when he takes in my already-exhausted appearance. “Maysa, you ok?” he asks quietly before he begins addressing the class. I sigh and nod my head.

            “Good morning, class!” Mr. Kennedy calls out in a cheerful tone. Some girls giggle and nervously begin to fix their hair and check their eyes for any messed up mascara and eyeliner.

            One girl whispers to her friend, “Oh my God, he is so f-ing hot!”

            Her friend nods and replies in an excited tone, “Yeah, I know! God I’m so glad we have him first period. It gives us something nice to stare at. Check out his abs!”

            The conversation catches Mr. Kennedy’s attention. “Ms. Peters and Ms. Sanders, is there a problem?” Many teachers use that approach when busting kids in class for talking, but Mr. Kennedy is definitely cooler about it.

            Liana Peters giggles and shakes her head. “Nothing, Mr. Kennedy. I’m sorry. And I insist,” she winks coyly. “Call me Liana.” She says this in a joking tone and Mr. Kennedy shakes his head and continues lecturing about Shakespeare and the connotations in Romeo and Juliet.

            Liana’s friend, Brittany Sanders, giggles. “I insist he call me Mrs. Kennedy!” she whispers to Liana. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. What has gotten into girls these days?

            I turn my attention to Mr. Kennedy again and observe him with much scrutiny. He’s relatively young compared to a good number of teachers, maybe not even twenty-seven yet. His hair is blonde and his eyes are sparkling blue; they remind me of Niall’s. I shake my head in shock. Since when do I see blue eyes and think about Niall? I don’t even prefer blue eyes. Yeesh. I should stop putting up with that boy.