Chapter 16 - Malik Massacre

• Dedicated to Insiya and Sadiyah

I sowee for late upload :( Anyway, happy (belated/early) birthday to these two wonderful people! One is my best friend and the other is a Wattpad friend. Hope your birthdays rock! Save me some birthday cake, ok?

More Important Stuff: (sorry guys) This chapter has a lot of developments. To those of you who don't comment: please do. Feedback is needed. You'll see when you read.

"As one Muslim girl to another, we have to have it within ourselves to set aside our differences and give each other courage through our highs as well as our lows." -- Maysa Malik

Chapter 16

Malik Massacre

Maysa Malik ☼

            The shrill sound of a whistle slices through the cool fall air as Coach calls us all in from our warm-up run. I feel jittery and pumped up on adrenaline; my heart is filled with love and adoration for the fresh-cut grass with its sweet late summer scent and the sturdy white nets sitting on opposite ends of the field.

            As we gather around Coach Montoya, I smile in sheer happiness. The start of the soccer season was enough to set butterflies of anticipation loose in my stomach. “Girls, you all look good but some of you really need to pick up the pace. This is a tough season and I need you all to be cut out for the games that we’re going to be playing. Some of the opposing teams are good.”

            Huffing and puffing, everyone nods. Coach continues, pointing her finger towards her curved belly. “I’m going to be on maternity leave, so I won’t be with you for half the season.” Murmurs of sadness skim through the crowd of girls eager for another season of the best sport on Earth. Coach holds up a hand. “I have a substitute coach coming in, and she’ll be here in a few minutes. Show her that Riverside’s girls’ soccer team is boss! Got it, girls?” There are whoops and cheers from us.

            As we start to walk back towards the field, Coach Montoya yells out, “Ashford! You’re late!” The entire team whips their heads towards the tall, willowy girl hurrying over to where we’re practicing with her head angled down.

            Skye Ashford. A ripple of astonishment runs through all of us as we stare at the girl approaching Coach. She, very famously, quit the soccer team halfway through the season last year. No one really expected her to come back but I knew her better than most; she is not a quitter.

            “Sorry, Coach.” She says in a quiet clear voice. Her long legs are concealed in a pair of long sweats similar to ones I am wearing. Her head is still down but she raises it for a brief second. “I had to drop my brother off at karate.” Coach continues to look stern but silently nods.

            “On the field, Ashford.” Coach commands. Skye walks towards the field and the other girls jog off. We somehow end up walking next to each other with some distance that indicates that we’re not holding a conversation.

            She seems troubled by something. She keeps tugging on the long sleeves of her shirt. She then looks up worriedly at the blazing sun. “It’s ok.” I say quietly. “Just believe in it for real and you’ll do fine.” Before she can say anything, I quicken my pace.

            I have a feeling that she’s surprised and taken aback by my advice, but I felt like I had to say that. As one Muslim girl to another, we have to have it in ourselves to set aside our differences and give each other courage through our highs as well as our lows.