Haymitch's Advice

Haymitch smells like rotten goat milk. I try to ignore the urge of plugging my nose. I see Peeta is also struggling. 

Haymitch is fatter than all the people in District 12.  He has shaggy hair, and  no pride in his appearance. 

Haymitch  walks over ,sits next to me, and throws his arm over my shoulder. His scent  is so bad. He smells like liquor; extremely strong liquor. 

 I stare at the ground, not wanting to make eye contact. He takes a swig of liquor, and Peeta knocks it out of his hand. "Seriously Haymitch, you are going to make the girl pass out!"

Haymitch jumps up and slaps Peeta right off his chair. I gasp. I have never ever liked fights. They would happen at school once in a while ,and I would always be the one to break it up. 

I pick up a knife and dig it in the table. The noise makes Haymitch stop and turn to me. "Some one has a temper", he mumbles. 

. "Says the guy that just beat up Peeta for  hitting your drink out of your hand." My voice quivered.. 

I knew I said too much, I closed my eyes, ready for the hit, but Haymitch just laughs"Wow, who knew a tiny tot like you could put a knife in the table".

"Well, I help my mom around the house and I have to lift some heavy stuff sometimes," I said quietly.

"Yes, I see. What weapons are you good at? Because digging a knife in the table isn't going to make you win the games", Haymitch notes. 

"Well my sister, Katniss taught me how to use a bow, but I am pretty lousy at it."  I tell him. The thought of Katniss makes me want to cry.   Haymitch thinks for a moment. "Well, at least you know how to use one, lots of people in the arena can't." 

"Any other advice?" I asked. "Yeah,"  he grunted. "Stay alive," And with that, he got another bottle of liquor and sauntered away.