My First Ally

I screamed. Behind me was a boy tribute. I'd say about 16 with a spear in his hand.  He had an evil looking smile on his face. I closed my eyes knowing this was it.

I wish Katniss and Mom weren't at home watching me die. As I waited to die I heard something hit the ground. I opened my eyes and there was the boy dead on the ground with a knife in his chest. I looked from the boy up to the one who killed him. It was Peeta.

I ran to Peeta and hugged him. "Oh Peeta! You are alive!"  He hugged me back,"I didn't know if you were alive either until I heard your scream. Thankfully I was near by." 

"Peeta, I asked. "How come you are so nice to me?" He smiled weakly, "well to tell you the truth I kind of like your sister, and I know she must really love you. So I want to help you out in the arena."

  Then it hit me, this amazingly sweet boy loves my sister,but they are never going to get the chance of being a couple. Even if Peeta did win, Katniss could never date him knowing this is the boy who had to fight in the arena with my sister.

"Prim, would you be my ally?" He asked.  "Peeta, I am the weakest one in the arena probably. Why don't you want to team with someone stronger?" 

"The stronger ones are jerks," he replied.  "It's better to be with a jerk then to die,"  I whispered.  He shrugged, "I don't think so."

First I showed him what I got from the cornucopia. He too got a pack, but not with the same stuff.  He also had a sleepingbag, some dried fruit, two knifes, and working gloves.

He knitted his eyebrows, "We need more weapons. We only have three knifes, and knifes aren't the best killing tools."  I shivered at the thought of having to kill people.

We made camp at a little cave. It was hard to get in but once you were in it was nice. We coveredthe opening with rocks.

Satisfied we got in and he said he would take first watch.I was extremely happy, I can't lie, I was tired! I laid down in my sleeping bag and as much as I wanted to be in a warm bed with my sister I finally was able to go to sleep.