36

trying not to count the days, she visits her mom. sometimes, she even skips school.

now that she knew how long her mom could live, she realized that she really needed her. it didnt matter if she doesn't stay at home, as long as she's alive.

she stares at her mom, who is sleeping. she used to look so young, so fresh, but now, cancer changed it all. her mom's once lightly tanned skin now look pale. her long, black hair is now gone, sometimes replaced by a wig.

a few years earlier, she used to visit her mom everyday. she would tell her anything and everything, because she was the only one in her family left. she would hold her mom's hand everytime she would be injected with medicine. she would always tell her to "be strong," or "you'll get better soon." she was always there for her mom.

but, like always, things change.

she started to have friends, she started to party, she started to give more of her time to things, but her mom. her everyday visits would turn to every other day visits, then weekly visits, then monthly, or sometimes she won't. she thought that maybe if they didn't know anything, they would like her. she was right.

then things started to go downhill.

she realized that nobody really liked her for who she is. they never even cared. all they wanted was someone to make them look better, to make them feel better about their insecure selves. the nerd, always the answer to everything, right?

the only person left was her mom during those times. even if she was gone for a months, her mom still accepted her. she still loved her. she realized that family will always be there, no matter what.

but her mom is sick. dying. what the hell will she do next?

she then felt a hand hold her wrist. "mia, it's late. you have to go home.."

"mom, it's okay. i'll just sleep here."

she smiled. "mia, it's very uncomfortable here. just sleep at home. besides, you have school tomorrow, remember?"

crap. "school was....cancelled?"

"i know you've been skipping school, young lady. you better get your ass home right now and bring it to school tomorrow." 

she furrowed her eyebrows. "mom, i swear. i will stay here."

"stay here and i wont talk to you or leave and come back tomorrow after school. you pick."

she put a hand on her forehead and dragged it down. "are you serious?"

her mom shrugged.

"you are serious."

her mom smiled. "bingo. okay pack our things now, kiddo. you're going home."

"fine."

mia's mom put a hand on her cheek. "mia, no matter what happens, i love you, okay?"

her chest hurt. but she dismissed it and nodded. "i love you too, mom."

"im always with you, mia. dont let them haters bring you down," she paused, "or if you want to you can bring them down with you. your choice, really."

"mooooom."

"c'mere." she motioned for mia to come closer so she can kiss her forehead. "i love you, mia. if only i got to see you grow up into the beautiful woman you are right now."

she blinked to stop her tears from falling. "it's okay, mom. i've gotten used to it."

her mom smiled. "i know."

--
WE'RE GONNA END AT CHAPTER 40 BTW <3