35

she enters the school building and the first person she sees is him. he's getting things from his locker, laughing with his friends.

her heart breaks. how is he so happy? how is he even coping? was everything a joke?

many questions fill her head and she starts to get queasy. she closes her eyes.

"hey, what's up, nerdy? long time, no see!" one of the jocks call her attention. she doesnt say anything and just walks to her locker. then suddenly she gets pushed and her shoulder hits one of the lockers. it hurt. "ignoring me now, huh? what the fuck is your problem, nerd? you think you're better than me? well you arent. you're a loser."

"hey! get off of her!" someone yelled.

the jock turns around, blocking her view of the person. "si- what are you doing?" the jock moves to the side and it reveals her.

"can't you see she's going through a really tough time?" she looks at the surprised jock then turns to her. "mia, how's your mom? is she okay?"

she smiles, relieved that someone actually stood up for her, even if it's someone she is not fond of. "well, she's-"

"HA! i dont really care, mia. i know she's dying soon, and i hope you do too. toodles!" she waves at her like they're best friends, then leaves.

she cant believe she actually fell for that trick. you're so stupid, she thinks. hot, angry tears come out of her eyes as she just stares at her, and everyone else who saw what happened. they didnt even do anything.

she huffs out a breath.

it doesnt matter. her harsh words wont be able to hurt her already broken heart.