Prologue

My life was ruined. I couldn't understand why I need to move with my family to South Korea. It was a foreign country, that meant new people, new school and a new language. Over the years, I learned Korean for fun, but I couldn't have known my parents decided to move so far. I kept whining to them that it will be hard to get friends, especially with a new school and me being from another country. I had friends back home and I didn't want to leave them. But because of my parents, I had no choice but to comply with their decisions. Sometimes I was scared that they didn't care for me at all.

We were in a taxi, driving to our new house. My mom was looking out of the window and tried to say nice things about the environment and the surroundings, just to get my attention. But I didn't look, and I didn't want to see. My mind was somewhere else. Back home. My thoughts ran like crazy just thinking about my hometown, my friends and everything that I needed to leave behind.

The taxi pulled in the driveway of a two-storied white house. Just thinking about calling it home makes be wince in my own mind, there is no way that I will call it that. My home is where my heart lies. I got out of the car with a huff and went around the car to take my bags out of the trunk. My brother pushed me away to take his bags, but I had none of it, and I pushed back.

My brother didn't say anything to my parents, he didn't even complain, like me when they announced that we were moving. I guess he didn't really care. He had friends back home too, but they weren't the best ones. His friends liked to tease me and lightly bully me whenever they were visiting my brother and I was always by myself. I wouldn't say I was lonely because I did have friends in school and in my neighbourhood. And maybe my life back home wasn't the greatest, but I already know that I will miss everything.

After taking everything out my parents said thank you to the taxi driver and led everyone to the house.

"Come on Sofia. You can see your room. We got I house that was already furnished because buying new furniture would be too expensive," my mom said and rushed me into the house. I took off my shoes and left them by the door, the first impression of the house was okay, I wasn't expecting anything big and luxurious because money has always been a heated topic for my parents. But for a family for four seem just right. I went upstairs, looking round to find my way to my room. I saw my brother walking in one of the rooms and closing the door, my guess was that my room was just across his. I slowly opened the door and I was surprised with a simple but neat room. It reminded me of my old room with the purple walls and bookshelves, but these were empty and plain. I sighed as I put one of my bags on the bed and the other one on the floor.

My gaze wandered around to see what I can do that would this room make me feel better, to feel like home. I knew that I would ask my mom to buy me painting materials because I can't imagine my life without painting. It takes me to a different world when my paintbrush touches the canvas. It's like painting a different world of my feelings and inner thoughts. No matter what happens painting will always be my escape of reality. It reminds me of the days when I would draw something, and I would proudly show it to my friends.

I thought to myself, if I am staying here for the long run then I can just make the most of it.

Settling in the room wasn't so bad, I couldn't take everything from my home. I noted in my mind that I need to buy maybe more decorations to lighten the room up and make it seem like I belong here.

I was putting some books on the shelves when I heard a knock on my door. The doors opened and my mom peaked thought the door crack. Her face seems likes how was happy to see that I was trying to accept that we are here now.

"I see that you like the room" she smiled and came in the room and looked around.

"Do I have any other choice?" I grumbled under my breath. I didn't want here to see that I am slowly accepting my fate, just yet. I wanted to show her that I still don't like the idea of moving here.