Chapter 2: What to do?

In the Hall of Justice, Batman was searching through the footage for anything that could help explain what happened when Cyborg walked in with a box of pizza. "I knew you'd be here working all night. Thought you might be hungry," he said.

"No thanks," came the curt reply.

"Suit yourself," said Cyborg, taking a large bite.

"Where does all that food go if you don't have a stomach?" Batman inquired.

"You don't wanna know," he replied with a full mouth. "What're you up to?"

"I've been combing through footage from every camera on the grid."

"And?"

"There's something odd. Dark spots. Hard to make out."

Cyborg plugged his arm port into the computer and said "Activate quadrant pixel enhancement." Immediately, the images became sharper.

"Showoff," said Batman while Cyborg smiled smugly.

Looking at the videos, Cyborg said "What is that, a shadow?" In the video there was what looked like a shadow near a pillar, in the same shape, but in the wrong direction and disconnected.

"No, the sun direction is wrong. And look here," he said, pointing at the screen. "It's disconnected from the surface. It's mimicking a shadow. It has intelligence. It's wandering, like it's looking for something, or someone."

"There's right where the Wizard ran into it."

"More like stepped in it."

"You don't think it was after him?"

"No," Batman stated. "I don't."

In Metropolis, Diana and Clark were exiting a movie theater.

"Don't get me wrong, I love catching up on popular culture," said Diana as they walked down the sidewalk. "But the harsh language was entirely unnecessary, and female lead seemed to only be present in order to be rescued by the leading man! But all in all I find myself reasonably diverted. Clark?" In her rant, she had been unaware that Clark had dropped behind her and was staring blankly into the window of a shop. "Are you alright?"

"Sorry," he said. "It's just, I've got a lot on my mind right now."

"You can always share your burdens with me, Clark," she said gently, taking his hand.

He looked down at their hands for a moment before his face twisted and he yanked his hand away. "Stay away from me!" he said harshly as he ran down an alley, leaving Diana confused.

Back in Titan Tower, Damian was out of his Robin costume and practicing with his sword in his room, sweat dripping down his face. Out of frustration, he threw his sword point-first at the wall, causing it to pierce through inches from Garfield's head where he sat reading a book. Changing into a bear, he pounded on the adjoining wall and shouted "Hey! What is wrong with you?! That is very dangerous! You could put out and eye with that thing! Didn't your mother tell you never to play with knives?!" Unfortunately, Damian was not listening. Looking out his window, he saw Raven with what looked like a small fire.

"By the powers of Azarath, I beseech you," Raven said, her body glowing purple and hovering a few inches above the ground. "Mother spirit of the nether realm, protect my brothers and sisters, and give me strength to face the dark force I fear is coming."

Damian approached from behind a bush, and momentarily his eyes, then his entire body, glowed blue. When he was close enough, he scratched his head and said, "I suppose I should thank you for healing me."