Part 6

Chapter 6

The ground rumbled, but Aidirian just tightened his grip on her.  The wings that encased him made him want to drift into sleep once more, but the rumbling reminded him that he had no choice.  Opening them, he glanced over only to find Celeste’s eyes on him.  A small smile on her lips as she looked at him let Aidirian know that whatever her thoughts were, they were good ones.

His hand went out to push a piece of her hair away from her face, but as he got closer to her, she jerked back.  Her wings folded back, disappearing from sight.  “I thought you were asleep,” she mumbled while jumping to her feet.  An odd expression crossed her face as she looked down at her clothing.  The shirt with no back was stained from the dirt, while her pants were a little worse for wear.

“I’m awake now,” he replied, sitting up to get a better look at her face.

She flushed before glancing behind her at Fred.  “He’s going to leave today.”

The sadness in her voice ate at his conscious.  There was something he could do that would allow her to keep the creature, but did he really want that?  Did she understand how difficult it would be to hide a sandwalker in the city?  To be honest, he had no idea where they were even headed.  By the end of the day, they would be out of the large canyon and there would be humans mulling about everywhere.  No one would view them oddly.  Celeste looked like a hiker who rolled around in the dirt, while he was immaculate as always. 

Pushing the guilt to the back of his mind, he jumped to his feet and glanced out of the cave.  “It is light out.  Maybe we should get going?”

“Sure,” she breathed out.  “Yeah, let’s get going.  We’ll be out of here by today, and then we hit the road.”

“Where are we going?”                      

She sent him a large smile, her eyes twinkling with slight mischief.  “What happens there stays there.  Is that still the saying?”

“Vegas?” he asked with a laugh.  “We’re going to Vegas?”

“Yep,” she replied.  “I have a place there.  Plus, it’s where a lot of my contacts live.”

He rolled his eyes at her and began walking out of the cave.  The light hit him, making him wince at the suddenness of it.  The nights may have been cold, but the days were ruthless.  Heat blasted down on him, and he began regretting the clothing he brought with him.

Tearing sounds made him glance back into the darkened cave.  Celeste had her bottom lip in her mouth as the knife she held in her hand grazed the cloth covering her thigh.  Taking a deep breath, he stepped towards her, ready to pull the knife away when she sliced the material of her pants.  As she made a perfect circle around her leg and moved onto the next leg, he marveled at her knife skills.  “Where did you learn that?”

Her head tilted, allowing him to know that she was listening, but she didn’t glance up.  “Long lives give you a lot of free time.  Don’t tell me you aren’t an expert with a knife.”

“Never really enjoyed them,” he mumbled.  “They used to take the fun out of killing.”

Silence met his comment, but he was used to that.  Angels had a sense of moral code that clashed with Jinn.  Angels believed that death was something that needed to happen, but they would never do the killing themselves without orders.  Jinn, they had a choice.  If they wished to kill, they could.  However, for Aidirian, there had only been one person he had killed on his own free will.  If he were pushed back in time, standing over that person once more, he would make the same decision.  Some were meant to die, whether it be by his hands or another’s, it was meant to happen.

Stuck With Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें