Part 15

Chapter 15

Everything was never as it seemed.  The fact that while she was sleeping, she had felt Aidirian poof from the room should not have worried her, but it did.  All morning long, as she ate her breakfast, as she found clothing she could wear, she had thought about it.  They were sleeping, like always, and she may not have noticed his departure if he had not been settled in her wings.  It was a bad habit she had, wrapping them around whoever was close, and she always woke when they tried to escape them.

Why had Aidirian left?  Why had he escaped her wings only to return moments later?  He had woken beside her, a smile on his face, but he did not utter a word as to why he left.  Letting out a sigh, she glanced around her small apartment.  The only one she would let in at the moment was Daryn.  It wasn’t that she was angry with the others, she just didn’t want any of her emotions to show on her face, didn’t want them to know she was worried about something.

“So,” Daryn started, lying on her bed as if it were his, “what was with the fake goose chase you just sent Aidirian on?”

“What do you mean?” she asked, walking towards the bed.

He leaned up slightly, to see her face.  “I saw you, love.  You were thinking of anything to get the man somewhere else, and the excuse that you needed some camels was not a very good one.”

“Francis needs food,” she defended, now standing above him.

Reaching out, he grabbed her hand and tugged her down next to him.  His arm went under her head, and she immediately snuggled into his side, her head on his chest.  “Yes,” he mumbled, making his chest vibrate under her cheek, “she does, but your mother was taking care of the food supply.”

She let out a sigh while closing her eyes.  “You know me too well.”

“I find it a habit to study those who may be my enemy.  By the time I figured out that you didn’t have it in you to kill me, I had already learned a lot about you.”

“Like what?” she asked, unable to figure out whether she should be offended that he thought she couldn’t kill him.  She could, it just wasn’t part of her orders at the time.

He tapped her hair.  “You get that from you father, that much can be seen from looking at you mother, but why does no one speak your father’s name?  They simply say, your father.  I figured that out not too long ago.  You come from a slew of powerful angels.  To be honest, I never remember you even saying your mother’s name.  I can make a bet that you never even think it.  Having someone’s name can allow someone to have control over him or her.  It is why the majority of supernaturals use names that are not your own, but you, you use your name, do you not?”

“I do,” she mumbled.

“Exactly,” he said with triumph.  “You must be powerful on your own if not even your name can bound you.  You must have the protection of more than what your necklace shows.”

She shifted uneasily, not liking how much he knew about her.  “I cannot discuss it.”

“Which means whoever they are, the ones protecting you, they will not allow you speak of them.  They must be powerful.”

There was a little bit of wonder in Daryn’s voice as he spoke, and Celeste knew that if she did not change the subject soon, he would be questioning her further, finding out information she needed to stay in the dark.  “Do you think Aidirian is loyal?”

Daryn let out a surprised laugh before chuckling more.  The longer the man laughed, the more foolish she felt.  Elbowing him in the stomach, she pressed her face into his chest to keep the blush hidden.