Part 7

Chapter 7

Celeste’s eyes widened at her mother before turning towards Aidirian with an ‘I told you so’ expression on her face.  “See, I told you the fallen could be good.”

“We just found out that your mother is one of the fallen, and the first thing you do is rub the fact that I was wrong into my face?  Besides, we don’t even know what she did to get herself into this situation.”

“Mom,” Celeste said with a sigh.  “Go apologize to him so that he’ll let you up there again.”

Her mother shook her head.  “If they want to send you on Earth with an unfair disadvantage, I am going to even out the odds.”

“What did you do?”

“Started pushing back,” she replied with a large, evil grin that made Celeste wonder if her mother would prefer to be one of the fallen.

Aidirian cleared his throat, causing both of them to look in his direction.  “What do you mean by you started pushing back?”

“Just what I said,” her mother mumbled while squinting at something behind them.  “I pushed them from the top just as they pushed my baby girl.  If they think that she will be the only one on Earth when all the stuff hits the fan, they have another thing coming.”

“Can’t they just fly back up?”

Celeste’s smile widened as she realized what her mother had done.  “Nope,” she answered.  “He told us that no one could return from Earth until the matter was taken care of.  He was afraid that one of us would bring back taint.”

“Sounds like a nice guy,” Aidirian mumbled, causing Celeste to narrow her eyes at him.

“He is amazing,” she defended, crossing her arms over her chest in deviance.

“You’ll have to excuse my daughter,” her mother said with a large smile while grabbing onto Aidirian’s arm and tugging him through the gate.  “When she is around me, her child side comes out.”

“Does not!” Celeste shouted to their retreating forms.

Letting out a frustrated breath, she looked up.  “Why did you let her do that?” she yelled to the sky.  “You know how she can be.  What happens when you want to pull her home, huh?” Thunder rumbled, causing her to smile.  “See, you shouldn’t have tried to punish her.”  The lightening hit a couple feet away in warning. 

Celeste sent a smile towards the sky once more before darting after her mother and Aidirian.  Knowing her mom as she did, Aidirian was probably being hooked up to a lie detector test, not that her mother needed such things to know when someone was lying. 

A clicking sound echoed behind her, reminding her that Fred was somewhere near.  As soon as she found Aidirian, she would tell the man to take off the invisibility spell.  It may have come in handy while they were on the busy streets of Vegas, but now, in this fortress, there was no need to keep her friend hidden.

“Celeste!” her mother shouted with slight outrage in her voice.

Celeste froze.  Her eyes darted around in attempt to find a place to escape.  When she found none, she let out a deep breath and resigned herself to the fact that she would have to face her mother.  Her footsteps slowed, a large smile crossed her face, and she readied herself for whatever her mother had on her now.

“You are his master?” her mother shouted as soon as she took a step into the home.

Letting out a breath, Celeste let a genuine smile cross her face.  “I thought it was going to be something worse.”