Part 12

Chapter 12

Aidirian narrowed his eyes at the crew as they widened their eyes at Celeste.  He was almost sure that a couple of them took a step back as soon as they saw her.  One shook his head, making the long hair, which passed his shoulders, whip around his face.  What kind of man had long hair anyway?  To Aidirian, long hair got in the way.  Even having it up was inconvenient.

“I will not work with her,” he stated in a strong voice.

Celeste let out a sigh.  “It was an accident.”

“An accident which destroyed our homes,” the woman in front replied.

“Tanya,” Celeste started with a wince, “how was I to know that that was your home?”

“You were playing with fire,” Tanya snorted, her dark hair rising slightly as her anger was shown.

“Ladies,” Daryn started with his charming grin in place.  Aidirian watched as both Celeste and Tanya rolled their eyes at him. 

Letting out a laugh, he shook his head at Daryn.  “You should know by now that powerful women are hardly ever charmed into doing things.”

Tanya jumped slightly as if she did not know he was in the room before turning her eyes towards him.  They studied him, making him want to shift in discomfort, but he stood still, letting her appraise him. “He’s yours?”

Celeste took a step forward.  “Yes.  You may be a fae queen, and I would usually give you what you want for the harm I caused you, but he is mine.”

“Fine,” she huffed, “but what is that creature in the corner?  If you answer what I think you will, I cannot control how many of my people will leave.”

“Cannot?”

“Will not,” Tanya answered with a slight smile on her face.  “You know more than I do Celeste that having your will stripped from you is infuriating.  The queen before me did so to her people and look what it accomplished for her.”

“Her death by your hands,” Celeste answered with a nod.

Someone cleared their throat, making everyone snap their heads towards Celeste’s mom.  She waved at them all before turning cold eyes towards Tanya.  “She’s my baby girl.  Sure, she is older than a few in this room, but she is the last child of mine.  I will not allow you to harm her.”

Tanya inclined her head in acceptance before smiling towards Daryn. “You called us here, incubus.  Tell me, what your plan was.”

Daryn strolled across the room, sitting down in the chair near the door.  It gave him a view of everyone, but also put him at a disadvantage.  Aidirian knew that by sitting down, Daryn was telling the people in the room that he meant them no harm.   “We all have a common enemy.”

A couple people in Tanya’s group glanced towards Celeste, but when she looked towards them, they jerked their gazes away.  Confusion crossed Celeste’s face, and he had to stop a chuckle from escaping his mouth.  Did she not realize what a force she presented to those who do not know her?  She had a Jinni in her command, a sandwalker for a pet, a fallen for a mother, an incubus leader as a friend, and a powerful vampire who owed her his life.  Any one of the fae would be frightened for those simple facts. 

“Who is this enemy you speak of?” the man who first spoke asked. “The only enemy I know is standing in this room now.”

“Alvar,” Tanya snapped, “keep your mouth shut unless you wish to lose your tongue.”

The man closed his mouth with a glare in Celeste’s direction.  Celeste smiled back.  “Careful, Alvar, Francis is not too sure who my friends are in this room.  I would hate if she struck without confirmation.”