Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Later that night, I meet Annalise outside the same bar we'd attended previously. It's our go-to-bar for cheap drinks, good music and a desire to have a good night. Somehow spending our time there always works out well, surprisingly.

I find Annalise standing outside talking to a taller man with his back to me. When Annalise catches me on the sidewalk, she waves me over which prompts the man to look over his shoulder.

His dark brooding eyes are the first things I notice. My heart aches all over again. Jason's dark brooding eyes was the first thing that drew my attention to him on the sidewalk. I don't like the guy already. Men and their darn, damn, brooding eyes!

"Hey, Lola, meet Dean," she introduces.

"It's lovely to meet you!" I tug on a bright smile to play nice.

"Do you ladies want something to drink?" he offers.

"Oh Dean." Smiles Annalise. "That would be splendid." She hooks her arm through his and leads Dean to the bar. Following behind, I try to keep up with the pair. Little does this poor sucker know, he'll be going home with the number of the local dry cleaning company and not Annalise's.

We go to the bar and Dean orders three drinks. Annalise and I down the drinks and head off to the dancefloor without Dean. He stays at the bar and watches Annalise dance as she teases him – only stopping every couple of minutes to glance over her shoulder seductively.

We get three more drinks out of Dean before he tries to get Annalise to go home with him for some cheeky fun. She plays the sick card, gives him the fake phone number and we head off somewhere else.

As we walk down the street, I see Kol across the road with another pretty young girl. They are sitting at a late night café talking and laughing with each other. The sight of their happiness makes me upset.

I know I shouldn't be upset, but I am. I try to ignore my feelings, ones I shouldn't have for someone I pay for affection, but I can't help but remember the feeling of his warm, muscular arms around my body. I'm so screwed.

"What's wrong, Lola?" asks Annalise. "It looks like you've seen a ghost."

"I, uh, where are we going next?" I ask, shaking the dazed feeling from my mind.

"This great place around the corner." Annalise links her arm through mine and drags me down the road. We turn around the corner and find another buzzing joint. We wait in line while the bouncer checks through people's I.D's. When we get to the front of the cue, Annalise smiles up at the bounce like she knows him.

I didn't know she had time to meet scary people. Though, Annalise had a knack for meeting just about anyone. Standing just short of a large dinosaur, the man's beady slant eyes look like they might consume your soul within a brief glance. He looks happy when his eyes meet Annalise's, it brings a sense of relief.