Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Whoever said time would solve thing is an idiot. Time has passed, and well, I've got nothing to show for it. I'm still cut up about everything . . . I still feel like the same broken, crushed person who was trying to make themselves better. I'd once again become the crumpled flower and it wasn't completely Jason's fault. I missed Kol and I couldn't be comforted because that was his job.

I'd really fucked up this time around! There are so many things I wished I'd done, so many things I wished I had said. But time had passed and those moments were gone, I couldn't tell Kol about the video just yet and I also couldn't tell him about how I felt. Despite all the fibers in my body screaming at me, I didn't have courage, not this time around.

I wanted, no, I needed Kol, yet he didn't seem to need me. He was hurt easily and he walked away easily. Perhaps this is the moment where I try to take advantage of his weakness and spin it into something to make me feel better?

I didn't need a man who could easily walk away, I needed someone who would stay, who would be my rock and defy taking the easy road. But I was wrong, wrong on so many levels. I couldn't take comfort in someone else's insecurities because it wouldn't make me feel better. Those insecurities drove us apart in the first place. I was too scared and that leave to this mess.

"Cheer up, Lola," says Natalie, a small smile on her face. "Everything will be okay!" Since I'd immersed myself in work, I'd found a comforting friend inside of Natalie. I seemed to offload my thoughts to her in between quiet periods at work. Annalise would always be my best friend . . . but I needed to work and Natalie was here.

"Surprisingly, that's not helping." I pout. "Everything doesn't seem like it will be."

"Just give it some more time for things to smooth over," she adds.

"But I'm living in the now, and it sucks." The only thing great about right now was Natalie's talent for making a good hot chocolate.

When a customer walks in the store, I pull on my happy face and turn to address them. I see a flash of dark brown hair before I realise its Kol. He stands before me, his own sulky look on his face.

"What can I get you?" I ask.

"Cappuccino, thanks."

"Okay." I process his order and then give him his change before Kol walks towards the coffee machine. Natalie puts the order together and I take it from her before she has the chance to give it to him. As I slowly approach him, I bite my lip and try to smile.

I really want to tell Kol about the video and the reason I couldn't accept. Then he'd realise I wasn't throwing all of our hard work away, that I really wanted to take the contract with them and show the world the amazing work we'd made together, but the jabbing feeling in my stomach told me it wasn't a good idea.