Chapter 7

To Ali’s dismay, the rest of the week passed by quickly. It was now Friday which meant her and Jace had to celebrate their birthday with Justin. He had booked out a club and hung flyers all over campus. That meant a ton of people would be going that she didn’t know. She hated crowds.

              Ali was staring at her makeup angrily when her cell phone started to ring.

              “What?” she snapped.

              “Every year you get older just adds on more attitude. Happy birthday grandma,” said Sarah.

              Ali let out a long breath, resting her forehead on her hand. “I’m sorry Sarah. Jace’s best friend is throwing us a party at some club.”

              “Who’s us?”

              “Jace’s birthday is tomorrow. He turns twenty-four tomorrow.”

              “How cool!” shouted Sarah. “But I know you hate being in big crowds; especially when all the attention is on you.”

              “Yes, anyway, how are you guys?”

              “Just fine. Eric is really cool. He’s been coming to the gym and teaching the students new moves. I’ll show you when you get back.”

              “What about Zach?”

              “He’s good too. Beverly is here every day and babies him. Zach loves all the attention. And don’t worry, dad hasn’t been back. Did you give mom money?”

              “Yup,” answered Ali. She was smiling now, glad that her family was doing okay. “Olivia already paid me so I sent mom twenty thousand dollars. That should hold them over for a while. By the way, you guys have access to the money. Don’t be afraid to use it.”

              “The gym makes us plenty of money but I’ll keep that in mind. Anyway, gotta go. Eric is coming over to watch a movie with us. Zach says happy birthday.”

              “Be good Sarah. He’s a shifter and you know how they are.”

              “Phones breaking up, bye!” shouted Sarah. Ali opened her mouth but was met with a dial tone. She shook her head, chuckling, and throwing her phone on the bed.

              “Hello?” asked a muffled voice outside her door.

              “Come in!” shouted Ali.

              She heard the shuffle of feet behind her and saw Olivia smile timidly in the mirror. It was so out of character that Ali was wondering if something had happened. She stood up, placing both hands on the older woman’s shoulders.