Chapter 10

One week down, another to go.

I awoke to the sound of my brothers and sisters fighting over who had the rights to the restroom first. For once I would like a morning where I could just sleep in. One week down, another to go.

Realizing that their fighting wasn't getting anywhere and was only growing louder, I got up out of bed and walked over to the commotion.

The anger that had built up inside of me was released as I yelled out, " Can you guys SHUT UP? I am trying to sleep here! IT IS 6 IN THE MORNING! WE DON'T HAVE TO GET UP TILL ANOTHER TWO HOURS!". The fighting immediately stopped as their heads all turned in my direction.

" Jeez Katie, we knew you weren't a morning person but calm down." Miranda exclaimed. 

" Well if you guys could please keep it down that would be great, and why is everyone up so early? Our meetings aren't even this early in the morning." A deep laughter erupted from behind me, I turned over to see Travis standing next to the doorway.

" Katie loving the messy look." He gestured towards my hair, which I could only assume was sticking out in all directions.

" Don't you remember what Chiron said last night? It was time for the time change. Duh." Travis said.  Oh yeah, the time change. You know when you have to change the time because the time changes? Yeah it was yesterday, I think.

" Wait, what time is it?"

" 8:30. You really should pay attention." Said Travis. " Oh and we got invited to my ex's party in the woods. You know Cassandra from the Hecate cabin? Remember we have to make her jealous so don't be late. It's at nine thirty ." And with that said he walked out.

" Cassandra? She's such a nice girl, I wonder why she would go out with him.." questioned Miranda.

" Well I mean, when you get to know him he's not all bad and he is hot".  

Miranda was walking towards the door when she suddenly stopped. "Did you just call Travis hot?". I felt my cheeks get hot, did I really just say that?

Flustered, I tried to talk my way out of what I said, "Um no, I was just implying stuff that girls do,  you know, remember when you went out with that guy whose like a fruit of the loom model?".

She eyed me suspiciously before replying, " Whatever and he was a Calvin Klein model." Then she walked out the door. With a huff I fell onto my bed and laid there before Miranda opened the door and said. " Don't forget we have the deadline for the strawberries today, so you better hurry and get ready."

___________________LATER__THAT____DAY___________________________________________

I was in the camp garden picking strawberries for about four hours now. I had skipped lunch and rushed straight there. I was exhausted and not to mention it was felt like one of the hottest days of the year. The sun seemed to suck all the moisture out of the air leaving it as dry as a bone.

I was finishing up the last row of strawberries when the bell for dinner rang. I straightened out my back and twisted side to side hearing my bones pop. I had been hunched over all day and I was covered in dirt. I sat up and wiped my dirty hands on my overalls and quickly ran to my cabin. I grabbed some wipes and proceeded to wipe all the grime off my body. I changed into a clean pair of shorts and a new camp shirt, and headed out the door to the dining hall. 

As I arrived the diverse array of scents hit my nose making my stomach growl. I didn't realize how hungry I had been. I munched on strawberries through out my time picking but I skipped lunch in order to get ahead. I filled my plate with two giant steaks, sacrificing the juicier one to my mother, hopefully she would appreciate it seeing as she got the better end of the stick.

I scarfed down my food and made my way for seconds. I made light conversation with my siblings but couldn't help but wonder about tonight. I had never really been to a party, beside birthday parties but I don't really think that counts. Was I going to have to change my outfit? I wasn't one for not dressing up, but dressing up at a camp filled with magical creatures made it hard to dress for style. On the other hand I am suppose to make Cassandra jealous, not that I want to or even think she would get jealous of me in boy shorts and an oversized orange T-shirt. I let out a sigh as I thought to myself, this is gonna be a long night.

After dinner I headed back to my cabin where my food coma hit and I slept like a rock. For the second time today, my once blissful sleep was interrupted. 

" Hey I've been knocking on the do-YOU'RE STILL SLEEPING? The party's starts in ten minutes!" Travis's voice was louder than it needed it to be and I pulled the blanket over me. I muffled into my pillow. "I don't wanna get up. I'm tired and isn't it cooler to show up to a party late anyways?" I heard his footsteps grow closer to my bed as he said, " You said you were going so come on now, get up lazy bones." He ripped the cover off of me letting the warmth of the blanket escape leaving me cold and uncomfortable, what a nice boyfriend.

" You know if you're going to be my fake boyfriend the least you could do is act like one." I glared at him and he shrugged his shoulders. 

"I'm your boyfriend Katie not your lover." He said with a stoned look on his face. Ouch, that stung for some reason. Not that I wanted him as a lover but was the idea that unpleasant?

"Ok then just give me five minuets so I can change." I shooed him out of the cabin and changed into a nicer pair of skinny jeans that I had and less oversized version of the camp shirt I was already wearing. I brushed out my hair and then put on some sneakers before heading out the door.

We walked side by side in silence heading no where in particular. "So where is this party anyway? Doesn't seem like we have very many places with out getting caught." 

" It's on the other side of the lake. We are going to have to take a boat to get there but first we need to go get the keys from the Hephaestus cabin and get Nyssa. She's going to the party too and she knows how to drive the boat." We walked to the Hephaestus cabin and picked up Nyssa, got the keys, and left. I hadn't really talked to Nyssa much before but once we started talking, I realized she we had a lot more in common. We had chatted for about 15 minutes until we reached the dark edge of the lake.  The water nymphs lay peacefully near the shores of the water. 

I glanced over at Travis while him and Nyssa started to untie the boat and asked, " Hey we're not going to piss off any lake any nymphs right? I don't to be on bad terms with them right now."

" Nah don't worry, I had a fling with one a while back, she still has a sweet spot for me so I let her know what was going on before we get snitched out to the harpies." A small wave of jealousy ran through me at the thought of him flirting with other girls. Did he flirt with her for her not to say anything? 

As if he could read my mind he said, " Don't worry, she knows I have a girlfriend."

I felt my cheeks get hot as I blurted out, "Worried? why would I be worried?". He ket out a small laugh and gave me a wink before turning his back to me. He continued to untie the boat as I thanked the gods the conversation had ended. I felt embarrassed enough that he thought I cared, not that I did. 

Thankfully Nyssa interrupted the rollercoaster of thoughts that were racing around my head and asked," Hey do you mind if we stick together tonight? I heard most of the Aphrodite and Ares cabin was coming  and I'm not really on good terms with some of them" She said.

" Yeah thats fine. I'm not really friends with them either,but we'll see if we can find a few girls I know from the Apollo cabin, they're nice don't worry and we can all hang out. But I'm going to have be with this idiot half the time." I said gesturing to Travis.

" Well, that is not very nice of you to say about me." He folded his arms and turned the other way like a five year old would do.  " Well you can handle it. I've had worse things said about you."

" Well I would like to know what you have said about me".

"Maybe next time but right now me and Nyssa are going to go and have some fun."