Chapter One

Chapter One:

The rain pattered gently against Chat Noir's ears. The sound of the repeated beats were going to drive him crazy. His blonde hair was dripping wet, but that part he didn't mind. A fresh earthly shower was just what he needed. Other than the thunderstorms booming above him, the night was fairly quiet. He peered over the edge of the building he was standing on, trying to spot the Game Master. He had just entered the building. Sneaky...

Jumping off the building, Chat extended his staff and slid down to the ground. He looked up and down the hallway, watching for anyone who would be a threat. When he saw no one, he bolted for the door. He slipped inside as quiet as the moonlight, the door clicking silently behind him.

"Now, where are you?" He muttered to himself.

He explored the building. Peaking around corners and crawling around the floor, Chat found nothing. After about an hour of searching the building, he crossed his arms indignantly.

"Well, that was a waste of my time. But how could he have disappeared so quickly?" he thought aloud. He spun in circles, looking up at the ceiling. Something caught his eye. Furrowing his eyebrows, he spotted a crack that ran in a half semi-circle around the wall.

"Well, that can't be random." Chat stepped toward the wall and pushed against it. Nothing happened. He huffed irritably and kicked it. Still nothing.

"Stupid wall!" He punched it. Yelping, he pulled his hand away and tried to shake out the pain. "Ow! Ugh... time for a different strategy." He analyzed the wall, looking for any possible weaknesses. Nearby, an end table stood to his left while a painting of a gold woman hung on his right.

Hmm.

Chat opened the end table's front drawer. A moment of silence filled the hallway before the painting of the woman swung open, revealing a hallway lit by black lights. Chat's ears perked up and he gripped his staff.

"Found you, Game Master," he snarled. He slipped into the secret passageway, the painting closing behind him. His black boots clomped against the cool metal catwalk he had walked out on. Far below him, he could hear machinery grinding, but with the poor quality of the black lights, he couldn't see the bottom. The only thing he could see was straight ahead.

A man, dressed in all purple, stood at one of the holographic computers. His voice was low, but Chat could hear him.

"...Cliff edge here, a small pond there and there, extra maintenance tunnel under the main charm..."

Gripping his staff, Chat slowly advanced on the Game Master. He looked up and launched himself into the rafters. The Game Master didn't even blink. Creeping his way forward, Chat opened his staff's camera. He zoomed in on the holographic plans. Sticking his tongue out in concentration, he snapped a quick picture. He had a feeling he would need it later. For now, though, he needed to go. Looking at the time application on his staff, he realized that he only had fifteen minutes before his father was supposed to pick him up for the Grand Meeting.

The Miraculous Games wouldn't start themselves.

* * *

"Marinette! Are you up and moving yet?"

Marinette groaned and rolled over in her bed, throwing her pillow over her ears. "Nooooo," she moaned.

"Well, you better be ready in fifteen minutes. The Lucky Choosing is in less than an hour!"

"Okay, Papa..."

Marinette pulled the pillow off of her head and flopped on her back, her blankets tangled around her legs. She had been dreading this day for the past week. Unlike the rest of her school, she didn't want to go. The thought that she would possibly be chosen was enough to drive her insane. She didn't want to win. She just wanted to be with her family -- and her crush. Her heart melted at just the thought of him.

Ah... Adrien Agreste...

He was so perfect. Blonde hair, bright green eyes, and had the sweetest personality. Marinette always watched the Capital's news, not because she wanted to know what was going on in the districts, but because she wanted to see Adrien. No doubt other girls throughout the country were doing the same thing, but Marinette felt like it was her special ritual.

On top of that, she had her room decorated with everything Adrien. She had photos, magazine clippings, even a blue scarf he had dropped when he had visited her district that she happened to have found. She would give it back to him someday, or, at least, she hoped so.

"Marinette!" Her mother called. Marinette squeaked and shot out of bed, remembering that she had to get ready.

"Y-yes?" she replied, trying to tie her black hair into pigtails.

"I have your dress washed and ready!"

"Thanks, mom, I'll be right down!" After glancing one last time at her hair, she quickly descended down her stairs into the front room. Her mother awaited her, smiling and brandishing the dress Marinette had designed. It was red with black spots that flared out at the waist and came down to Marinette's calves. It was simple, yet it had a formal feel.

"Aw, Mama! I love it!" Marinette threw her arms around her mother, giving her a big hug. Her mom smiled and pulled away, giving her the dress.

"You don't have a lot of time to get ready. Alya will be here soon to walk with you to the Choosing."

Marinette sighed. "Mama, do I have to go?"

"Yes, sweetie. I know you don't want to go, but someone has to look after little Manon."

She sighed and looked down at the floor. "But mom, don't you thinking that's horrible? Manon is barely even seven. Why does she have to be chosen for the Miraculous Games?"

Her mom spread her hands. "I don't know, sweetheart, but it's just the way things work."

"If you two are done talking, I've got some crepes ready to eat," her dad interrupted.

"Thanks, Papa, but I'm going to go get dressed before I eat."

"As long as you promise not to spill any breakfast on you," her mom warned. Marinette smiled.

"I promise, Mama." Her parents both gave her smiles before she rushed upstairs to get ready.

After eating a delicious breakfast and helping her Papa clean up, the doorbell rang. Her mom set down her dish towel and walked to the front door. She opened it to reveal Alya, dressed in a black and white dress, and little Manon, wearing a blue dress of her own.

"Hey, Mrs. Dupain-Cheng. Is Marinette ready to go?"

"Almost!" Marinette called from the front room, which was quickly followed by a screech and something crashing.

Marinette's mother chuckled. "She'll only be a minute."

Marinette soon stumbled to the door, her shoe half on, half off. "Sorry, I'm here now."

"Don't forget your bag, sweetie," her mom reminded, handing Marinette her small clip bag.

"Thanks, Mama." Marinette kissed her mother's cheek, wave to her father, then stepped out into the hallway with Alya and Manon. Little Manon gave Marinette a giant hug, wrapping her arms around her legs.

"You looks so pwetty!" She complimented, her buck teeth stopping her from talking normally.

"Aw, thanks, Manon. You do too." The little girl beamed up at her.

Alya nudged her friend. "I made sure I came and got you early so we have no chance of being late since you almost always are."

Marinette hung her head. "Sorry... Thanks for coming to get me early, though."

"I know you too well," Alya smiled and the two girls exchanged a hug.

"Can we go now? Pwease pwease pwease?" Manon begged, tugging on Marinette's dress.

She sighed. "Alright... Let's go." With one last exchange of nervous smiles, Alya and Marinette followed little Manon's skipping to the Lucky Choosing.

---

Woohoo! New fanfic idea! Who's ready for some Miraculous Ladybug fun?!

Again, thank you to overthinker1281 for the amazing idea!