Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine:

Nathanael tripped over his costume for the millionth time that night, but it didn't stop him. He had to stop the Game Master before he could get away. While Ladybug and Chat Noir were fighting the guards, Fox had noticed the Game Master making his escape.

And Nathanael knew he couldn't get away.

He wasn't as dramatic as Marinette, what with jumping over the edge and all, but he knew he had to catch the Game Master before he got away. Racing down the steps as fast as he could, he pushed his way through the panicked ball guests as he ran after the man in the silver mask. His costume whipped behind him like it was trying to escape.

Stomp stomp stomp stomp!

Nathanael slid right in front of the door, arms outstretched and blocking the way. Breathing heavily, he glared at the Game Master.

"You're not leaving," he sneered.

The Game Master stopped in his tracks and raised an eyebrow. Nathan tilted his head in confusion. Why was he smiling?

"How long has it been?" The Game Master asked, gripping his cane with both hands.

"Long enough," Nathanael hissed. He stood his ground, unmovable and fierce.

"I see." The Game Master stood up straighter and rested his hand on the top of his cane. "You may have escaped once, but that won't happen again."

"It will!" Nathan shouted. "I will always fight! I will never-"

He was cut off by the Game Master slamming his cane against the floor. Pain erupted in Nathanael's mind. He did the only thing he could.

He screamed.

* * *

Marinette froze. That scream, she knew whose scream that was.

"Look out!" Adrien shouted. He pushed Marinette aside and smacked his baton across the face of the guard who had been about to club her over the head.

"Are you okay?" Chat asked, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye.

Marinette shook her head and barely missed an attack by one of the guards. "No, Nathanael is in trouble. We need to find him!"

"Wait, you brought Fox with you?"

"He was the one who let me out of my room, so yes, he did."

Marinette shot him a glare. Adrien turned away and continued to fight, but didn't seem to bring the topic back up. Marinette focused on fighting as well, but she knew she had to go find Nathan. He had to be around here somewhere. But could she just leave Adrien to fight alone?

She scanned the room, looking for anything or anyone that looked familiar. The chaos of the room was hard to sort through, but she did see a couple of her friends helping out. The Charms were getting everyone at the ball who was innocent out of the ballroom, away from any danger. She also noticed that two of the Charms were up on the stage.

Chloe was still stuck to the floor. She had taken off her mask, revealing the mascara and eyeliner that had stained her cheeks as she cried out for help. The help she had received appeared to be a girl in a red panda costume.

Marinette continued to hear Nathanael's screams. Where was he?!

Then, her eyes locked onto a bright purple light. That must have been it. Her eyes found a tall dark figure standing over someone. Someone wearing a kangaroo costume.

Marinette's breath hitched in the back of her throat.

"Cover me!" she shouted to Chat. Adrien did exactly as he was told. He shoved the guards back, sending a few of them flying into the wall. Marinette took the opportunity to pull out her bow and notch an arrow. She let it fly.